Saturday, July 1, 2017

Getting Rid of Stuff

Okay, we've been saying for over a year that we are going to clean out. It started when we thought we might move. Now that we've decided to stay, we were still going to go through the stuffed closets in the house. We haven't started yet!

The garage has been stuffed with furniture for Jordan's new apartment for months now. We do see the light at the end of that tunnel. She tells us it will be this weekend. We're not holding our breath because that's what she said last weekend. It will happen by the first weekend of August for sure because that's when I've committed to decorate her apartment. I'm no dummy. What that really means is, "Grammy and Grandpa, will you help me unpack and get settled?" Yes, I'll do the decorating too, but that's the icing on the proverbial work cake. Disguise it any way you want, it's work!

Still, I've been trying to get rid of some things around here, but I have one thing---errr, person standing in my way. Case in point:
 These freezer mugs have been in the freezer for 10 or 15 years. No one uses them. I put them in this bag of stuff for Margarita (she takes anything I want to get rid of---sends stuff to her family in El Salvador, or sells it---either way, fine by me). Butch saw them and without saying anything, took them out. The next thing I knew, they were sitting on the steps to go upstairs. What?? I have no idea what he had in mind. We don't have a freezer up there. Maybe he forgot it's a beverage center! Anyway, I put them back in the bag. He said, "Why are you getting rid of those?." To which I replied, "No one uses them." He said, "I use them." I swear to you that's a BIG FAT LIE!! He hasn't used those in at least 10 years. I can't really remember him ever using them. I said, "You're kidding, right? I'm trying to clean out stuff!" He said, "Well, you always want to get rid of my stuff!" I have no idea when he claimed those mugs as "his!" Anyway, I got my way. They are gone. At least two little things.

Next up was this candle holder. I used to have it on the old tub. I decided I didn't want to use it this time since I got something new.
 The next thing I knew, it was back on the new tub. Well, I have this new one:

Then there was this candleholder. I decided to let it stay here since I don't have anything else there anyway. Candles in powder rooms are practical. Candles in the master toilet area---not so much. We're never going to light it, so it seems pointless.
Not only do I have Butch deciding what I can and can't get rid of, Mindy has forbidden us to get rid of this old faded beach towel. She got it when she was a little girl. It begs the question, why doesn't she just take it home?

At this rate, it's going to take forever to clear out this house! Wish me luck!

By the time you are reading this, we will be on our way to our family vacation. We're going to Charleston, SC--Folly Beach to be exact. The girls (Stephanie and Mindy) want us to all go in one car. It's going to be tight, but I think we can do it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.