Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Sleeping Habits

Our sleeping habits have certainly changed over the years. In our early years, we always went to bed at the same time--usually around 10 p.m. Butch has always---from the very beginning---gone to bed with the tv on. I NEVER watch tv in bed unless I'm sick. You can almost count on one hand how many times I've done that. In those early years, before remote controls and the tv was still black and white, I would get up sometime in the middle of the night and turn it off. It got to the point that I did it so routinely, that I never even remembered doing it. Once remote controls were invented, it became much easier. The remote was on the bed between us, so I didn't have to search for it. Very convenient.

Everything went along smoothly like that for the first 28 years. Then came prednisone---yes, nearly 18 years ago. That changed my sleep pattern. I stayed up later than Butch and got up earlier than him.   I slept about 5-6 hours a night. That was fine by me---I got so much more done in my days. He went to bed before me. When I went in around 11 p.m. he was already sleeping soundly. I would just turn off the tv and read for a half hour or so. I've been reading in/before bed since I was a little girl (I learned to read very early). Butch has never complained about my reading or my little book light---ahem---like some people I know! 

So you might be wondering what this is all about. Well, since I've been off the prednisone, I've been going to bed earlier---many times before Butch. I've been reading more at bedtime than ever before. Since I have fewer hours in the day, it's tv that I've decided to sacrifice. Here's the problem. If Butch goes to bed AFTER me, it wakes me up if he turns the tv on. I told him I was okay with that. Instead, he's staying up later and falling asleep in his recliner. 

I don't like it. I never wanted to be one of those couples who don't sleep together. There's something intimate about sleeping together that I don't want to lose. Although, I will admit, when we were re-doing the bathroom and moved upstairs, we each took a room. Actually, that was pretty nice. I could almost make the case for separate rooms. But I don't want to.

That brings us to what happened last night. Butch and I were talking. It got to be about 8:30. I was getting ready to watch an episode of Bloodline. He decided he wanted to sit on the front porch for awhile. I yelled at him, "No, you need to get to bed!" I don't know when it happened, but since he's staying up later, our sleep patterns are all screwed up! If he would just go to bed at 9 like he used to, everything would be just fine! 

There's one thing I haven't mentioned---snoring. His doesn't bother me. After all, I've heard it for 46 years. Apparently, it's mine that is the problem. I don't really like to think about that---so unladylike. But there's nothing I can do about it. I did buy some of those snore strips and have used them the past two nights. The jury is still out on whether they work or not. 

I don't know how this problem will be resolved. But in the meantime, at least we have a nice place to sleep---when we do.


2 comments:

  1. We always used to go to bed at the same time but this past year I've tended to go up and read while my husband watches tv/falls asleep in the armchair! He's recently been diagnosed with sleep apnoea - no wonder I used to complain about his snoring!
    Your bedroom is absolutely stunning - like something out of a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bedroom looks fabulous! We always go to bed at the same time & both read every night. We don't have a TV in the bedroom as I've never watched TV in bed. He had one in the bedroom when we married, but the first time we moved I made sure it had a different home. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.