Saturday, May 20, 2017

A Peek in to the Closets

And then we'll get in to my drawers!
Butch really cleaned out his closet. I like to say that he took a page out of my book by color coordinating his clothes. He has them organized by style and sleeve length first then color next.
You might be thinking that his closet is only this neat because we've just done a remodel. But the truth is, he always keeps his closet this neat. His area of the bathroom is another story. He'll have clothes piling up on the chair and laid over the tub. He's already started that, but I'm determined that the new tub is not going to become his personal valet.
On Mondays, when Margarita is here to clean, I used to take the whole pile of stuff on his chair and put it in his closet. For the longest time, he thought Margarita was doing it. I finally "fessed up" and admitted my complicity. I said, "I don't understand why I have to look at this mess out here, so your closet can stay perfect!" I think I'm right on this one.
I thoroughly cleaned out the linen closet---which was stuffed. We had to move the medicine in here since the new powder room didn't have any place to put it. I organize that stuff by type (first aid, cold/allergy, stomach/bowel issues, etc.) and put everything in to labeled ziplock bags. The bags are in the baskets on the bottom shelf.
 My closet. You can tell by all of those empty hangers how much I got rid of. Plus, my shoes extended across that wall where the hangers are. I ditched all the shoes that I had been hanging on to for much too long. I won't be wearing anything that doesn't feel stable or comfortable---or if I've had a slip.

All of my blouses and tops are put together and sorted by color. I don't care that they are mixed together.
The top shelves are just storage. I'm keeping needlepoint pillows and some pictures that just too nice to get rid of. I guess if no one has a use for them in another 5 years, they can go. The huge box is Mindy's wedding dress.

Don't tell any burglars, but all of my good jewelry is here. My jewelry box is in the library on the shelf. It just looks like a nice box. A burglar would have to spend quite a bit of time in the house to find it.
Most of my costume jewelry is in this armoir. My necklaces are hanging in the closet.
Oops, the bra and underwear you see here were stashed when I changed in to my swimsuit.
These drawers  are deeper than what I had, so they are taking a little getting used to.

I can't really believe how much stuff we got rid of, but we still have so much. I'm so glad we decided to stay in this house. After Steph's move, my sister, Jeanne's upcoming move, and Walter and Chris' impending move, I can't even think of the work. Just more than I want to deal with. We did vow that we'd go through these closets and get rid of stuff. We haven't started yet and it's already May! They are all filled. I've kept things that I thought the girls might want. But, as I keep saying, they don't want our stuff. But what should we do with it? It's good stuff worth some money!

Oh well, I'll think about it tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I've been saying for at least a year now that we need to pretend that we're moving to see if that helps us get rid of more stuff. Or maybe I just need to persuade Butch to come and do a tidy up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are working on closets here too. We are having a little work done in the kitchen that means some painting upstairs will be required too (all explained on my Facebook page). So this week, the closets in two of the upstairs bedrooms are getting a good purge - that's where we keep out-of-season clothes and "stuff". I also want to get new carpet upstairs so I'm working on clearing out "stuff" stored under the beds. I will take a few things to the consignment shop, and put most of the rest of mom-in-law's upcoming auction (she's moved to assisted living), and the clothes are going to goodwill. How in the world did we ever accumulate so much?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.