Saturday, December 10, 2016

Easy Appetizer

This recipe is one of my favorites. I'll even go out on a limb and say it could be the best way to make brie I've ever had. I only make it at Christmas time. I had it at a party in the 1970's and recreated it. There is not a "recipe" as such, just what I came up with. You can't mess it up.

Baked Brie
A chunk of brie
1 pkg. crescent rolls
brown sugar
pecans
butter

Start with sheet of Saran Wrap on the counter. Roll out the crescent rolls---I let the tube sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes to make it easy to work with. Press all seams together.
 Now I need to say that I don't really like brie---because of this papery stuff on the outside. To me, it tastes like mold---or dirty feet. No, I've never tasted dirty feet, but it tastes how dirty feet smell.
 I cut it off. Using a cheese slicer is pretty easy without losing too much of the brie.
 It does not have to be perfect. Or you can leave it on if you prefer. Center brie on top of rolls.
 Heap about 3/4-1" of brown sugar on top.
Heap a pile of pecans on top (you can also use almonds). If I were guessing, I'd say it's about a quarter cup.
 Add 3 or 4 pats of butter on top.
 Start rolling the dough up---use the saran wrap to make it easy and it won't stick to you.
 Once it's folded up, cover it with the saran wrap and just smush it in to a ball making sure all seams are sealed.
Now you can bake it or put it in the refrigerator until ready to bake.

I forgot to take the "after" picture! Anyway, if you have refrigerated it, let it sit at room temperature for about a half hour. Or bake immediately at 325 for 20-30 minutes until brown. I baked it too long this time, so the inside leaked out. Not to worry. Just put it on a plate and scoop the stuff left in the pan over the top. Soooo, good!

Originally, this was served with crackers. I decided that with the added dough, we didn't need crackers. I just serve it as is with forks. It's very easy to cut a chunk without a knife. Also, you can heat up the leftovers in the microwave.

Let me know if you try it and how you like it.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds interesting. I am inclined to trim off the outside layers of those type cheeses as well, although hubby prefers not.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.