Friday, September 18, 2015

The Truth About My Fishing


I started thinking about why I quit fishing. It was a pretty easy choice at the time. When my third baby came along, my life really changed. There were 8 years between her and my, then, youngest. I was used to having time to do anything I wanted. Plus, we owned a lake house in the Ozarks so fishing was on the priority list. When Mindy came along, all that changed. By the time she was old enough to stay home with her sisters so that Butch and I could go fishing---I chose NOT to. I remember thinking that I would rather have that time for uninterrupted reading on the boat. That was my plan. I had no idea that reading on the boat would be nearly impossible too. About the time I was in to my book, Butch was moving the boat!! I might as well have been fishing!

That was over 30 years ago. Life just kept getting busier and busier. Now-a-days---even though we're retired, there are still not enough hours in the day! How the heck many hobbies can you have? Mine include---probably in order of importance:
1. Reading
2. Scrapbooking
3. Needlepointing
4. Blog following

So this doesn't really look like very many hobbies, but when you add hanging with friends at least twice a week (many times more), traveling and family time---it all takes up a lot of time. Now I've added fishing back to the list. How could I not after the past few days and my fishing success!
 You've already seen this photo, but it was the first and biggest fish I caught.

 I love catching little blue gills---they are all so colorful. Notice the red on the tail!
 This little guy was my favorite---turquoise and yellow. This photo doesn't do it justice.
 This little distraction caused me to get tangled up. Can you see the red-headed woodpecker. Nature---what's not to love?

This was another crappie (as was the first one I caught). I had to ask Butch---I don't really remember the different fish anymore.

This was the best of all worlds---fishing, scrapbooking---a very little reading. Never enough time for everything.

In case you are wondering, Butch and I are "catch and release" fisher-people. I bait my own hooks with real worms and remove my own fish. Not to brag or anything, but I caught the most fish---six!

I forgot that I used to be a tomboy. I also forgot how smelly fish are! So maybe I'm not quite a tomboy anymore!

And that's my truth about my fishing!



4 comments:

  1. Another good read. My doctor just retired and she said to me last year that she had never had a hobby and she always thought it would be nice to wake up in the morning with something else to think about apart from work! I wonder was she is doing now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss fishing . . . but have never been a "catch & release" fishergirl! In fact, I was the official fish fryer in my family for years. Robbie always complains that I've never fried fish for him (although I have baked it & broiled it, etc) . . . but he's never taken me fishin' . . . and I only fry fish I catch myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad's retired and he's recently been discovering all kinds of new creative hobbies. Each time I visit he's got a new creation to show me!

    It's lovely to think you've rekindled an old pastime.

    p.s: I like that you list 'blog following' as a hobby. I've set myself a challenge to leave 300 blog comments in 30 days - 10 per day sounded easy - but am discovering it's a full time occupation!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of blog following as a hobby - I have it on my to do list but don't always manage it.

    I like fish and used to catch and eat, haven't done that in years. In fact - haven't done it since I arrived in the UK...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.