Tuesday, July 8, 2014

I Didn't Know Beans About Beans

Until I visited the Bush's Bean Factory in Chestnut Hill, Tennessee. All I knew was that I've never really liked pork and beans. That's what we call them in the midwest. In the south, they call them baked beans. Either way, I've never been crazy about them. In fact, there's only been one recipe that I like. Connie makes them with ground beef. They're really good. 

Another thing I know about beans is that in England, they put pork and beans over toast as an after school snack. At least that's what our tour guide told us when we were there. That didn't sound good to me at all. My kids had cookies and milk or cereal.

On our vacations, we like to do unusual, educational things. The teens were not really interested, so we adults went while they were at the water park. 
We started with lunch at Bush's Cafe. The chairs have these cut-outs that match their logo. Bush's started their company in 1904. At the cafe, they started us with a little bowl of beans. They were really good. The variety was Sweet Mesquite Grillin' Beans.
For dessert, we had to try the Pinto Bean Pecan Pie. It was really good. Steph said, "finally---beans that I like." I have the recipe if anyone is interested.

They had a really interesting tour. There was a little activity for kids. We had Elizabeth with us since she's too little to do the water park without a parent. She wasn't happy to be going with us, but doing the little activity was fun for her. She had to search for answers to a series of questions. When she was finished, they gave her a little certificate.

At the end of the tour, they took a complimentary picture for us---and gave us each a copy. Quite a nice surprise since every where you go, they charge you $25.00 for a photo.
This giant can of beans was actually a tunnel. It showed the canning process step-by-step.
Elizabeth and I bought these cute little bean cans as a souvenir. They are actually mints, but we're keeping them like they are. Elizabeth handed me a dollar to pay for hers. (There's a little back story here. She was pretty upset when she found out she could not go to the water park with the teens. I pulled her on to my lap and told her I'd give her $20.00 to spend when she went out with us. She said, "well, can you go a little higher!" That cracked me up, so I gave her $25.00.) So, she gave me a dollar to pay for her "little can." I paid for both together. After she said, "Grammy, it was only 79 cents!" She wanted her change!! She's no dummy! But come on, it was my $25.00 to begin with. Kids say the darnedest things. I've got to remember to scrapbook that.

It was a fun little educational trip. I made a note of the beans we had at lunch so I could buy them at home. Butch says I'm a marketer's dream. Here's why. I went to the store when I got home to re-stock milk, bread, eggs, etc. I stopped to look for the beans. Wouldn't you know it---they did not have the Sweet Mesquite. But, they had all the Grillin' Beans on sale---3/$5.00. So I decided to try 3 different varieties. I'm hoping to find another type that I like. Beans are cheap---and good for you too. Win, win.

I already had this can in the pantry, but they are not the Grillin' style. Hopefully with all these choices, I'll find one I really like.

When we left the tour, we had to sing the bean song. You know the one, "beans, beans, the musical flute...."

How do you like your beans?

3 comments:

  1. I don't! We have Heinz baked Beans here in a tomato sauce (that's the kind to put on toast) but nobody in this house likes them. Which is a bit of a shame because they are a fast and filling snack for hungry teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a fan of beans, I have to say, liking chick peas (garbanzos) more. But this looks a very interesting tour and I like the huge tunnel/can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, we like our beans around here - pork N beans baked with a little brown sugar mixed in & bacon on the top! Or with onions & peppers added & cooked in the iron skillet on the grill!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.