Sunday, July 27, 2014

How Does My Garden Grow?

This mild summer has really kept things looking fresh in the gardens. Often, by now, everything is starting to burn up---especially when we are put on water restriction. 
 This is one of my tree hydrangeas. It is so heavy with blooms, you almost cannot see the trunk.
 The tree hydrangea from a distance. There's one on each side of the front porch.
Annuals are always in these front beds. There are pink, white and purple vinca with purple heart against the wall in back.
 The tree hydrangea on the other side is not nearly as full of blooms. I'm having trouble with moles here. You can see that the annuals aren't doing as well here either.
 Besides the single blue bloom of the "endless summer" hydrangea, all I have is lush foliage. At first I thought that perhaps they weren't getting enough sun, but after talking to friends, no has blooms this year. Strange. I'm going to be sure to fertilize them in the fall.
Entrance to my shade garden. I love the ostrich ferns. They are draught tolerant, disease resistant and can take sun or shade. The spread easily, but are also easy to control. The best time to take the "babies" is in the spring. If anyone wants them, I easily have a hundred or more to give away.
 Another view of my ferns. They look good anywhere.
I love to stroll through. I even have a bench to sit at, but I never do. The mosquitoes will attack.
I do enjoy sitting on the porch swing---since Butch bought the best mosquito deterrent yet---a fan! That really works. I've been able to enjoy the porch much longer this year due to the low humidity, but that is coming to an end. I sat out this afternoon for about 20 minutes. It was just too darn hot!

I have a busy week coming up---and then the Lapps family arrives on Friday. Ahhh, summers---crazy busy, but I wouldn't have it any other way!!

3 comments:

  1. your garden is HUGE. my garden is 18 feet by 15 feet and is totally owned by my three chickens. There is nothing green under chicken-head-height. I expect that when they are passed on the garden will explode into green because of all the chicken poop LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is looking gorgeous....I love the hydrangea. Sadly our unusually high temperatures.....and lack of rain....has made my garden look very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely garden! We've had an exceptionally mild summer, too . . . makes me wonder what August will bring! :>)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.