Wednesday, April 16, 2014

What's Happenin' in the Garden

I strolled through the garden on Sunday to see what was happening. Don't let these pictures fool you. They are pretty, for sure. But our yard is big so the color is really spread out.
 We have this Oklahoma Red Bud in the front yard. I love the horizontal nature of it.
 Close up of the red bud flowers.
 The dogwood is spectacular. It was a windy day when I took the pictures, so they are not the greatest.


 We have wild violets in the yard. You really have to look closely to find them amidst the grass.
This is a Forest Pansy Red Bud. It's a shade loving tree and doesn't get too tall. It's meant to be a tree that sits beneath other larger trees. It's also a darker---more fuscia color than purple.
 I love how it really adds color to the darker shade garden.
 The Virginia Bluebells are looking pretty weak this year. Maybe they need more fertilization.
 The same goes for the foamflower (tiarella cordifolia). I used to have several more plants.
 I seem to have only this one left.
I
 The bleeding hearts (dicentra) are gorgeous as always.
 The wind was really blowing when I took this picture. The "bishop's hat" (epimedium) is really low to the ground.

 This lenten rose (hellebores) is in my little white garden. It's really pretty, but wish they didn't have that droopy nature. It's kind of hard to see the flowers.
I have had this white climbing hydrangea for at least 15 years now. It has not flowered a single time. It's in a good sunny location, so I have no idea what the problem is. Maybe I got a male.
When we first moved in---19 years ago, I had bugleweed (ajuga) everywhere. I gave a lot of it away. Now I have just this little patch left. It's a nice ground cover. It looks nice next to the lamb's ear---which can really get out of control if you don't watch it.
 My lilac is just beginning to bloom.


          
Just walking near the lilac is heavenly. It smells so good. If I weren't going to be out-of-town for the next two week, I'd cut some for the house. By the time I get back, it will be gone. It's easy to miss.

And that just about covers what's happening in the garden right now. The peonies should be in bloom in a couple weeks.

4 comments:

  1. It certainly does look beautiful - and what a good idea to record it before you go away, because as you say it will have changed by the time you get back

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that strange? Here we have a superstition that if you bring lilac flowers into the house there will be a death in the family. My grandmother would have fainted clean away if I brought any to the door. We also have a superstition that you should not have birds in any form in your house, not caged birds or porcelain birds or even birds as a pattern on fabrics. It is, apparently, a local Welsh valleys thing. I never heard of it when I was young because I don't live in the valleys but my firend who makes curtains told me that she never bothered to show clients fabrics with birds on them because they were unlucky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cutting lilacs for the house is on my list for tomorrow. I like the ajuga and have it here too - is spreading so I need to thin it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely scroll through your garden today!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.