Friday, March 14, 2014

On Slowing Down

We're all told we need to slow down, take time to smell the roses and relax. But the truth is, we're living in the fast lane. We have a lot to do and are usually in a hurry getting there. But can you be too slow? I think so. Case in point:

My bridge partner, Joan---who is upwards of 80---probably 83---told me that she was stopped earlier this week by a police officer. She was doing 30 MPH in a 45 MPH zone on a major road way. She was very upset by this and was planning on taking action against the police officer. She said the police officer asked her how old she was---didn't ask for her license, just asked a few routine questions she could easily have found out by looking at Joan's license. She asked her if she realized she had a line of cars trailing her. Joan said that it wasn't her fault if they were all in such a hurry. The officer let her off with a warning. Joan was outraged.

I started asking her questions. What time was this? Around 7:30 p.m. and dark. I asked her if she was having trouble seeing at night. She answered "no." I asked her if she was starting to be afraid to drive. Again, it was a no. Were you on an unfamiliar road? No again. Then I asked her the obvious question---so why were you going so slow? She got a little worked up with me. She said that I was the first person that wasn't on her side. I said, that, no, I wasn't on her side. She should have done the courteous thing and pulled to the side of the road rather than hold up traffic. Again, she reiterated that it wasn't her fault if everyone was in such a hurry.

Sheesh, you can't argue with that. Yes, maybe everyone needs to slow down. But who are we to determine that for other people? When you are on the road, you need to keep up or get out of the way.

All I know is I definitely need to slow down. Otherwise, I fall down the steps.

3 comments:

  1. The problem is that people driving 30 in an area where most drivers are going 50 create a hazard. A driver coming up the road at 50 mph, doesn't expect a sudden slow down to 30 for no apparent reason (weather is fine, etc.) So they have to brake hard and swerve to avoid hitting the trail of cars going 30 and that is where accidents happen. Yes, it would be nice if we could all slow down. But what if someone needing to get to the hospital was in that line stuck going 30 because of Joan? Headed to meet a friend who is feeling like life is no longer worth living? On the way to pick up a child whose boyfriend just dumped her and her heart is broken? Maybe she just needs to be reminded that sometimes people truly have legitimate reasons for needing to get somewhere quickly. Time isn't always on our side. And I have no idea why my reaction to this situation was so strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh course here in London she could go at 30mph at 7:30 on most evenings.... or even slower as that is 'rush' hour :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no - I hope the fall down the steps wasn't too painful! :( I think it's important to be a courteous driver, so move over & let others pass when you choose to go a lot less than the speed limit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.