Wednesday, January 8, 2014

It's "Brrr-y" Cold in Nashville

...all kinds of record breaking cold. I know it's like that everywhere. But, we were due for a good snow. Schools were cancelled in advance. There was the typical run on the grocery store---milk all gone. We didn't get it. We never do. I'm disappointed.
 Here it is. Our "big" snow.
 From this direction, it just looks like a little frost. I must admit, I fear for our poor little fishies. I'm afraid my little pond is going to freeze solid.
It was colder than this, but when we went out at 9:30 to run an errand, this is where we were. This is the lowest recorded on my car.
When we got home, I was just dropping Butch off. He told me to wait a minute. Then he came out to wipe my windshield. So sweet---the way he takes care of me.
 And then it promptly froze up. Still, the nicest gesture.

I met my friend, Nancy A. to see Mandella: Long Walk to Freedom. Very, very good.

I spent some time in my scrapbook room---sorting and organizing pictures and memorabilia. I'm overwhelmed. You know it has to be bad for me to say that. I always feel on top of things. I need to figure out what I realistically CAN and WANT to scrapbook. I think trips are out. In the long run---I teach preach in my classes that your kids don't care about the trips you took without them. They don't care about the people you met. I learned this lesson as I sorted through all of my mother's pictures after her death. It made me sad to think that I was "throwing away" her life. But the bottom line was this: of seven children, no one wanted those pictures---unless she was in them. So, here's the take-away: get yourself in to your pictures if you want your kids to keep them! I'm doing my own purging now so my girls won't be stuck with such an overwhelming job. Go ahead---you can do it too.

My reward for the day: 2 hours of Season 4 of Downton Abbey. I was in heaven! I was very sorry to learn that O'Brien has left. I love all of the characters whether they are good or bad, but I don't really like change. I don't really want new characters. I don't like the "new" girl (cousin---Rose---I think). I do love the babies. I can't understand why the actors would leave when they have such a successful show. But then, that's just me. Give me the familiar.



6 comments:

  1. It's really nice that you are taking care of the purge in advance! My mother-in-law is a chronological scrapbook-a-year person. But she uses a cheap glue stick and after about a week everything is falling apart! I've sent her better adhesives... she doesn't seem to take the hint. And we are going to inherit literally dozens of books - all with people and places that NONE of her children know or care about. It's going to be a sad sad day having to divvy up those scrapbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you make a good point about the photos, I hate being in them but must try more this year. I missed O'Brien too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you're right....I really should make sure I'm in more photos!! I do make albums of our vacations....but I make them for me,I think.....I love looking back through them. All the other albums I make are far more geared towards saving memories for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always try to get people in the photos, especially on trips, because you are right. No-one will keep a photo unless there is a specific memory attached, or there is someone they love in the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been cold here, too, and rainy today, but no snow! Stay warm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm..as a History graduate I can say with complete honesty that I do care very much about the pictures from my parents' past even if they aren't in them. I want to know what everyone was wearing, what the cars were like, what picnic food they ate..all of it. Someone has to record this stuff..I know, I know..not everyone. But someone..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.