Tuesday, December 31, 2013

I'm on a roll and it's ALL gotta' go!

I've turned into a "scrubby Dutch" woman. I hope that's not offensive---I am half German. Growing up, my grandma Zimmermann was "scrubby Dutch." I think it just meant that she cleaned EVERYTHING! And that's where I'm at right now.

There's nothing like getting new things to help you clean out and make way---and get rid of the old.
I've been a cleaning fool since the Lapps' left on Friday. I've cleaned out the cabinets in the library, the secretary in the living room, the chest of drawers in the family room, the lower kitchen cabinets and drawers and the butler's pantry---you name it, I'm cleaning it. I still have the pantry---I'll do that on New Year's Eve.

Remember I said that "a sink full of hot sudsy water is my best friend!"? Well, nothing escapes my annual baths. My cousin, Chrissy is reading this right now and remembering how I was such a mess as a teenager. She came over most weekends and cleaned my room and closet. I never did understand how it could get like that in such a short period of time. Anyway, thanks, Chrissy. 

Somewhere along the line, I came in to my own. I'm pretty particular and a hard worker. I actually like work. 
 I even swish the fake stuff in the suds---gets rid of all the dust.
I have so many vases---and these are just the little ones. These are going. I always plan to put a bud in them and give them to friends, but never remember to do that. I've kept a few to do that in 2014. If I don't remember to do it, then I'll get rid of them next year.
 More stuff on the way out. I give everything to Margarita. Some of it she sends to her family, the rest she sells for a little extra cash. Win/win for both of us.
 This little case holds my miniature Sworovski crystals. I have not cleaned this out in years. The glass is all dull.
 How to clean miniatures? Put them in a colander and swish them in the sudsy water. Rinse.
I forgot about the tiny crystals that were in one of the little containers. I didn't try to clean these as I knew I would just end up losing them. I brushed them on to a piece of paper and put them back in the little pot.
 I dumped the cleaned pieces on to a dry towel and used the edge to dry each piece so they wouldn't get spotty or have fingerprints.
Then I took the case and completely immersed it.
 Here it is---all shiny and clean.
 I cleaned everything in the butler's pantry. I love the crystal, but after a year, it does get dull.
 Everything looks so sparkly. My champagne flutes are all ready for NewYear's Eve. The two in front match the set that Mindy gave Sandy for Christmas. I saw them after Christmas---the last two. I decided to add them to my collection. Next year, I'll get two others. I love fancy glasses. And I like to mix them up.

Between the decorating for Christmas, twisting wires, bow making, cleaning everything in sight---it has definitely taken a toll on my nails.
My sister, Jeanne recommended this. You can get it at Sam's. I was finally to the point where my nails were being filed down because they were finally healthy and strong. But--not any more. They are a mess. I guess I'm starting all over. I can't say I've noticed a difference in my hair or skin---but then again, I'm the least person in tune with her body.  

Still, worth the sacrifice to the nails to get so many things caught up around here.

On a positive note, all this work is really paying off. I logged 8331 steps and 17 flights of stairs on my FitBit just working around the house---3.5 miles. That's a lot of walking and up and down right in my own house. That's what I like about the FitBit---it tracks your activity. It's really nice knowing how hard you actually work! I haven't started back on the treadmill yet. January 1st. 2014 is going to be my year to get really healthy. 

Do you have any jobs you like to do at this time of year?

Happy New Year!! Here's to the best 2014 ever! I wish you health and happiness!

4 comments:

  1. What a difference a little cleaning makes! I've been logging a lot of steps (for me) while not working... sent you a friend request!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A happy, healthy and sparkling clean New Years to you too.

    I'll probably get started once the house empties again at the beginning of January. At the minute we are still surrounded by piles of Christmas leftovers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you've certainly accomplished a lot of cleaning & decluttering! I like to set up my new calendar & read lots of magazines the last week of the year. I started back exercising Monday, so I'm feeling good about a great start to the year. Happy New Year Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of cleaning is always a good thing. We have a sonic cleaner for some of those fiddly bits but I do like a sink full of hot sudsy water. Isn't it amazing how much difference that can make? I've been thinking of getting a fitbit and logging my steps.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.