Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"A to Z" Book Survey

As you know, I follow quite a few blogs. The Nerd Nest is a fun one! This morning Megan has a really interesting post. So I decided to hook on to her "A to Z" book survey with 26 questions and answers about books.


Author you’ve read the most books from.
That's a tough one as I've read many authors over the years. In age order: The Bobbsey Twins, Carolyn Keene, Agatha Christie, Stephen King, Jeffrey Archer, Nelson Demille, Jodi Picoult.

Best sequel ever.
World Without End by Ken Follett or Children of God by Mary Dorian Russell.

Currently reading.
For the King's Favor by Elizabeth Chadwick

Drink of choice while reading.
Water with lemon.

E-reader or physical book?
Considering I have a library and an awesome collection of books, I have to say, I'm addicted to my Kindle---and it's just the cheapy little basic!!

Fictional character you probably would have actually dated in high school.
Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights. I think every girl wants to be loved like that.

Glad you gave this book a chance.
Hands down, it would have to be The Sparrow by Mary Dorian Russell. It's a science fiction mystery that my book club picked years ago. It didn't sound like my type of book at all. It was fabulous. Exactly why I love book clubs. I'm exposed to books I would not pick on my own.

Hidden gem book.
Pope Joan by Donna Wolfolk Cross---not many people have heard of it, but it's a good one.

Important moment in your reading life.
That would have to be when I was sobbing so hard while reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult that Butch came around to the patio and asked what was wrong. Or when I was crying while reading The Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah and Butch asked me if my allergies were acting up. We'd been married 40 years and I've NEVER had allergies!!

Just finished.
Beauty Rising by Mark W. Sasse---good, but a light read, not much depth.

Kinds of books you won’t read.
Probably westerns as I've never read one yet.

Longest book you’ve ever read.
Most likely something by Stephen King (always good to the last page)---or Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (really liked it, but at least 100 pages or more were redundant).

Major book hangover because of…
I'm not sure what this means---unless it's a "bad" book. Then I would pick some of those "classics" from high school. I think teachers need to pick books that are interesting and engaging if they want kids to love reading. 

Number of bookcases you own.
Besides the library, there are books on shelves all over the house.

One book you have read multiple times.
I read To Kill a Mockingbird several times when I was a kid. The Gift of the Magi isn't exactly a novel, but I've read that at least a dozen times.

Preferred place to read.
On the couch, on the front porch swing, in bed, in the car, in the living room, in the library---just anywhere when I have the time.

Quote from a book you’ve read that inspires you.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"---from A Tale of Two Cities--- mostly because it was the first that came to mind. Loved that book.

Reading regret.
Sometimes I waste time reading a book I'm not enjoying with the hopes it will get better---plus I'm sort of obsessive about finishing a book. I can't quit in the middle.

Series you started and need to finish.
I need to finish The Wild Rose by Jennifer Donnelly. I read the first two---The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose, but just wasn't ready for the third one.

Three of your all-time favourite books.
It's hard to pick just 3. Ubroken by Laura Hildebrand, Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.

Unapologetic fangirl for…
The Twilight series.

Very excited for this release more than all the others.
Killing Jesus by Charles O'Reilly. I've downloaded it to my Kindle, so it's next up on my list.

Worst bookish habit.
Wanting to "own" all of my favorites.

X marks the spot: the 27th book on my shelf.
Which shelf? Too many to choose.

Your latest book purchase.
Killing Jesus.

Zzz-snatcher book (latest book that kept you up way late).
Books don't keep me up. I use them to wind down from the day. I read every night before bed. It relaxes me. When I get drowsy, I turn off my little book light. If I wake in the middle of the night, I'll read again until I get drowsy and can go back to sleep.

What about you? I’d love to hear about your A-Z books. 

5 comments:

  1. I can't quit a book in the middle either! It bugs me. I've finished a lot of bad ones that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting one and I did enjoy your answers. I'm wondering what a book hangover is too. One that makes you feel worse after you've read it? One that makes you say "Never again"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just got Pillars of the Earth on my kindle and I agree with you about Heathcliffe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to so many of your answers here - I'm always reading several books (4 right now, plus 1 I'm listening to in the car). I like to read anywhere & almost always read before bed . . . I have been known to stay up much too late when a book gets really interesting. There are bookshelves in practically every room of the house & I most enjoy an ice-cold Coca-Cola while I'm reading! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoyed reading this - may well lift it too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.