Friday, August 9, 2013

On the Soapbox

Well, I don't usually get on the soapbox, but I just have to this time. I'm sort of fired up about something that was on the news last night. You should have heard me ranting at how ridiculous I thought it was.

A woman at a Chik-fi-let in Knoxville contacted the news because she was outraged that an employee asked her to cover-up while nursing her baby in the play area as a customer had complained that it made them uncomfortable.

Are you "frigging kidding me?" This woman has gone to the news?? She's also arranged a "nurse in" with friends. They all went in the evening----didn't eat or purchase anything----and nursed their babies to prove a point. I get that the law says a woman can breast feed any where. But should they? And wouldn't hanging out in a place of business without buying anything be considered loitering?

Don't get me wrong. I am a HUGE proponent of breast feeding. I breast fed all three of my girls---no bottles for my "kiddoes." They didn't even get any solid food until they were months old. But never would I have exposed myself in public. I get that everyone has a different opinion about this issue, but really, is it too much to ask to throw light cover over yourself? I don't think so. I managed to nurse discreetly just about anywhere.

The employee was reprimanded---but seriously, what about trying to please the customer that complained. Things are getting so confusing these days with political correctness, that how could anyone know what to do. Actually, if I was the one that felt uncomfortable I would probably have asked the woman myself.

If that had happened to me, I think I would have said, "okay, it's no big deal." And thrown a diaper over myself---of course back in my day, I did use cloth (I thought it made me a better mother---well until Mindy came along and I was all about convenience)!! Remember my post about being nice? Wouldn't it just be nice to cover up---this ONE time rather than start a big "hullaballoo?" And, really, is this newsworthy?

2 comments:

  1. I am TOTALLY with you and have gotten worked up over this as well! Glad I am not the only one! I have seen several similar stories this week and in ALL cases the women were outraged when being asked to cover up (not to leave, not to stop, simply to have a light blanket over them). It seems perfectly appropriate to expect a blanket or nursing apron to be used in public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that I agree with you, but amongst my friends I am in the minority. I fed all of mine for around a year each and I used to throw a lightweight cloth over my shoulder. I didn't need to expose myself but I also didn't need to hide in a back room (at least we have moved on from that!). I think that so many people have become so self-centered - everything is about them and their feelings. They no longer consider how others might feel. It aggravates me too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.