Sunday, January 20, 2013

5th Time is a Charm!

I have been trying since September to get my shingles shot. First time I went to the pharmacy, my doctor hadn't sent the order. The second time, it was ONE day too close to my pneumonia and flu shots. Third time, they told me I'd have to come back after 4 because the person to administer the shot wasn't in. The fourth time they were out of the shot. FINALLY, I got it this week. By now, I turned 61 and didn't even need the doctor's prescription for it anymore.

I'm known to be impatient. I was aggravated at how long it was taking. I told the pharmacy "girl" that I would gather my groceries and come back. Fifteen minutes later, they still weren't ready. They were trying to find out if my insurance would pay for it. The pharmacist said the shot would be $229. I said that I wanted it whether the insurance would pay or not. That helped to move things along. After getting the shot, I waited while they were still processing my insurance. That's when I noticed this:
Really? They have pet medicine at "my" pharmacy? I guess it made sense. One of my prescriptions when we were trying to figure out the source of my hives, was for the Parvo virus. When I got it filled, the pharmacist said something about my dog. I asked my doctor and he said dogs get the Parvo virus too. That kind of freaked me out. I asked him if he was calling me a dog. Not really, but I did cry to him one time and sobbed, "you didn't even know me when I was cute." What was he supposed to do with that? He responded, "you're still cute!" I love my doctor.

Anyway, good news about my shingles shot. The insurance paid for it. I don't get it. I thought our coverage was really pretty crappy---mostly for emergencies and disasters. Turns out, it pays for a lot of stuff we don't expect. That's a nice surprise.

Speaking of animals---Jordan brought home a stray kitty a couple of months ago. She promised Steph that "it" would be gone just as soon as she found it a home. Well, you know how that story ended---welcome, "Rio"---dumb name for a cute little kitty. When we were over there last weekend, I couldn't resist taking a shot of her painted nails---and my favorite color too!
Steph had planned to have her de-clawed, we all were outraged. Since finding out how inhumane that is, we just couldn't let her do it. The alternative is these little "kitty claw covers." They aren't painted at all, just some sort of covering that fits over the claws. It's amazing what the vets can do. For all I know, they have been around for years. News to me. Steph said there were many colors to choose from. I have no idea how often they have to be replaced. Steph gets her nails done as a treat now and then. It'll be funny if the cat gets hers done more often!

I must leave you with this little "piggy"!
Isn't she so darn cute? Evie isn't eating, she's fingerpainting at school!! What??? Yes, they let 8 month olds fingerpaint. You know, I've never liked the idea of daycare for kids which is why I was a stay-at-home mom, but I might have to re-think that. If they have this much fun, seems like it would be way better than staying at home with mom! At least some of the time.

2 comments:

  1. She looks like she's having a ball!

    Interesting about the shingles jab, wonder if they do them here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are way too young for the shingles "jab!" You have to be 60 here. I don't think it's a terrible problem before then. Given my hives history, I didn't want to take any chances.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.