Friday, December 7, 2012

The Attic Clean Out

We cleaned out the attic a couple of weeks ago. I got rid of everything---and I do mean everything. I had a box of baby clothes and every bit of Mindy's layette. My friends in Kansas City got together and made it all. Every possible thing I would need: quilt, dust ruffle, diaper stacker, rocking chair pads, baby pillow and a crib mobile. I think they felt sorry for me because I couldn't sew. I met them at a quilting class. The first question out of my mouth to the instructor was, "what is the selvage?" That was it. After a good laugh, they immediately took me under their wings and we all became good friends.

Anyway, as I was going through that stuff, I realized it was all so out-dated that Mindy would never want it. Part of the reason I kept everything was because when Sandy and Stephanie were babies,  we were renting. I never had a cute nursery until Mindy was born. Back in 1984, you weren't able to find out the sex of your baby. Really, even if I'd had the choice, I would have wanted to be surprised. I just think that adds to the anticipation of the new baby. I picked mint green and peach as my colors---thinking if it was a boy, I'd focus on the mint green and if it was a girl, I'd go with the peach. Totally 80's colors. I kept everything because it was all so darn cute. Now it was time to let it go.

I did keep just a few things:
The baby afghan was made by my mother. She made all the grandkids baby afghans. When they graduated from high school, she made them an adult one to take with them to college. All of us cherish the afghans now that she's gone. Besides that, considering this one is 28 years old, it still looks brand new. It got used a lot. The quilt was made by another friend of mine. It's plain, but I decided to keep it anyway.
 Of all of these pictures, I only kept the cross stitch that I made. The calligraphy poem and quilled poem were also done by friends, but are past their prime. They went.
This was the quilt that was part of the layette. I kept it. Most likely it will never be used again, but it might make a cute wall hanging.

I let Mindy go through the box of clothes. Not surprising, she wanted to keep all of her cute little dresses and Osh Kosh outfits. And these, of course:
Her little shoes look pretty used. I know that the trend is to let baby's go barefooted all the time. I didn't go for that---I had her decked out every day in darling little dresses (heck, they outgrow them so fast, why not?) I "made" her socks. Too bad I didn't save a pair of those. Actually, I should say I "decorated" her socks. I made lacey bows and sewed on little bells. Top it all off with a cute little bonnet and her beaded name bracelet that I never took off and, you, well, get the picture. One cute little baby.
She's about two weeks old here. 
About a year old.
2 years old.
Mindy's 6 in this picture. She made the dress she's wearing. Already a better seamstress than her mother! I still have this dress.
 Senior picture---age 18.
And today at age 28. My, how the time flies. Happy birthday baby girl!!!



2 comments:

  1. Another warmly loving post to enjoy :) That first photo - she looks like a beautiful doll. Happy Birthday Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for sorting and making decisions - always hard. Lovely post and photos of Mindy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.