Sunday, October 14, 2012

Cousin's Crop

Just got home from my annual Cousin's Crop. It was Jeanne, Janet, Judy and me this year. We had a great time as usual. I planned a little Halloween project and the AYM end page. Jeanne and Janet each planned a title/end page. I'll get those photographed tomorrow along with a few of the layouts I did. But for now, let's start with this.

On Wednesday before leaving on Thursday, I made gnocchi's. It's my grandma's recipe. They take about an hour to make and are pretty messy. They are worth it!
 Here's a picture of Grandma Preli along with Sandy in the middle, Mitchell on her lap and me on the end. This was taken in 1997. I don't know where my mother was as it should have been a 5 generation picture.



 I just love her wedding picture. It makes me sad that on the back of most of her pictures, she wrote "ugly Jennie." I think she's beautiful and she had a beautiful soul.
I would have loved to see her dress in person. I wonder what ever happened to it. Grandpa was pretty handsome too---11 years older than grandma.
Here I am, making the gnocchi's. I ended up keeping the flour on the board, table and myself. I don't think I got any on the floor this time!

Gnocchi
2 cups mashed potatoes (you can use instant)
2 egg yolks
2 cups flour

Mix slightly beaten egg yolks in to the potatoes. Add the flour slowly, mixing well. Knead with your hands---adding flour until it is no longer sticky.

Taking about a fist size of the dough, roll with your hands on a floured board into a rope the size of a bread stick. Cut in to one inch pieces with knife. Here's the tricky part. With the tines of a fork, roll the gnocchi on the diagonal and flip quickly. It will slightly roll up with the tine prints in the middle.

Put gnocchis on floured waxed paper and let dry all day. Drop in boiling water and cook 6-8 minutes or until they rise to the surface. Drain and serve with meat sauce and grated cheese.  About 6 servings.


Chrissy on the left and Judy on the right. These are my first cousins once removed. Only Judy was at the cousin's crop. We spent a lot of time figuring out all the cousin stuff. Chrissy and I have been close since we were kids. Judy was older, so we babysat for her. Anyway, they are my mom's first cousins which makes them my first cousins once removed. As soon as I got home, I was explaining it to Butch and Mindy. Then I got confused when we got to the second cousins once (or was it twice) removed. I'll have to study up on it again---just when I thought I had it down.

I don't have any pictures of Jeanne and Janet. Judy took some. If she sends them to me, then I'll post them.

Janet went apple picking---she has been going to Eckarts for over 20 years now. Each year, on our crop, she makes the best apple crisp. Jeanne had a breakfast and brought her waffle maker to make us pecan waffles. Judy went down to "the hill"---the Italian part of St. Louis---to the Missouri Bakery. She brought Italian bread, Volpi salami, Italian olives and fontina cheese. What a treat! Then she pulled out the Italian cookies. Jeanne and I were skeptical as Grandma Preli made the worst cookies. They just weren't sweet, just hard and dry. We were happily surprised to find that these Italian cookies were delicious.

Jeanne introduced me to a new beverage---diet orange soda and whipped cream vodka. I'll be going to the liquor store this week for sure!

It's good to be home. I have a busy week before we leave on Thursday to head south to Charlotte, North Carolina. We're looking forward to our drive through the Smokey Mountains. The leaves should be spectacular. But mostly, we're looking forward to seeing Sandy and the family. It's been too long---since our vacation the first of July. I just can't wait!


1 comment:

  1. You have a wonderful collection of photos - all those generations together, wow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.