Monday, September 10, 2012

New York & Vermont---Day 9 & 10

Sunday:
We started with breakfast at our hotel. I always said that I would not stay at anything less than a Hampton Inn. We've stayed in all sorts of nice hotels and inns this trip. The guys did a good job with that---until---this hotel. We're at a Best Western. I was a little leery at first---I thought BW's were way below Hamptons. I was wrong. This hotel is very nice, clean, comfortable beds with down comforters and a nice breakfast. Plus, who doesn't love hot cookies and milk at 8 p.m.?

Our day today consisted of a trip to New York. We hopped a ferry to Ticonderoga where the guys toured the fort while we girls stitched. After, Chris and I toured "King's Garden." It was a beautiful, sort of free flowing garden.
 King's Garden had a beautiful grape arbor. They also had a lot of other vegetables. I don't really need to post those pictures.
I'm not sure what this flower is, but the white one on the bottom is the bud. The purple is the bloom. Really pretty. I thought it might be some sort of allum, but I'm not sure.

I've started a new collection. I know--- just what I need! But this one will stay outside. I just wish I'd thought of it sooner. I'm collecting rocks from various places. I plan to mark them with a Sharpie as to where they came from and the date. I have two---one from the granite quarry and the one I picked up at "King's Garden."

On the way back, we stopped at various points of interest---including Michaels. Did you know that Paula Deen now has a paper line? Everyone's getting in on the scrapbooking "act."


 These are hay bales on the side of the road. I guess this is a farmer's sense of humor.

We no sooner got back to our hotel than we were told to dress nice for dinner and be ready at 5:45. We took off---destination unknown. About an hour later, we arrived at the Trapp Family Lodge. You know the Trapps---the family from the Sound of Music (known as the Von Trapps then). After escaping from Austria, they settled here in Vermont. Can't you just hear---"the hills are alive with the sound of music!" They picked this place because it reminded them the most of their home in Salzburg, Austria.



We had a lovely dinner---German at that. It was the best wienerschnitzel I've had since Old Heidelburg closed in Nashville. The views and gardens were spectacular. But, alas, like those elusive moose, we didn't see a Trapp---even though the family still lives here.

Monday:
Today was a day of geo-caching and covered bridges. Here are just a few examples:


 Each covered bridge is unique. Some are red, some are plain wood. ALL are old---1800's.
 This is the Quechee Gorge. Pretty impressive. There were lots of caches in the area.
Sugarbush Farm was listed as a "must see" attraction in Vermont. Personally, I was grossed out. I've never seen anything so run down and plain filthy. I tried to remind myself that it's a farm. But I don't understand how things can be in such bad shape. The barn is literally rotting away. It dates back to 1869. This farm makes maple syrup and all kinds of cheeses. We pretty much toured on our own, but went in to see the cheese and syrup. There were flies everywhere. I wouldn't buy cheese from them if it was the last place on earth. The front door to the "store" was literally rotting away. There was at least 6 inches missing from the bottom. I couldn't take a picture because it would have been too obvious. I figure if they put on a new door, it would make the rest of the place look even more shabby.
This was the best thing I saw---animals---finally. These horses were really pretty and looked to be well cared for---unlike the rest of the place.
 I couldn't resist---but notice the ugly building and scrubby yard. I guess when I think of a farm these days, I see Nancy's farm!! Or even Karolyn's farm.

 This is the longest covered bridge in America. Notice the sign below.
All in all, it was another good day. We ended with dinner at an Italian restaurant. The food was really good. I asked for a 10% discount since the Comfort Inn* recommend it and we came. They said yes! Just goes to show---all you have to do is ask!

*Yes, we're rapidly going downhill in our lodging. I don't think I've ever stayed at a Comfort Inn. We're in Springfield, Massachusetts and there aren't many choices. No Best Western or Hampton. But they do have safes in every room. Even the Hampton or BW don't have that.

One more day and we'll be heading home. I could easily do another 4 or 5 days just roaming and exploring. This has been a lot of fun.





1 comment:

  1. To be able to fit in some stitching while visiting all these wonderful places as well? That sounds like bliss..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.