Sunday, June 3, 2012

At the Lapps'

I'm here babysitting while Sandy and Greg are on a little trip. Morgan came with me. We arrived on Friday evening. It was the hardest drive I've ever made. The trip is about 8 1/2 to 9 hours from Nashville to Kalamazoo. I have never encountered so much traffic the whole way. It was nerve wracking. I was glad to have Morgan for company.

We got here about 7:30. By 9:30, I had hives on both palms from the steering wheel. That has never happened before. In my determination to "tough it out," I didn't even bring the prednisone. Immediately, I started upping the antihistamines---to get some relief from the itching. I'm trying all the over-the-counter things---and twice the recommended doses. It is barely working. All I keep thinking is "I can't get sick." So far, it's working---I guess that's mind over matter. But the itching is maddening. Still, I'm determined.

It started out cold here. What was I thinking? It's Michigan, it's always cold here. I left 95 degrees in Nashville. I went to Target and bought a sweater. It's warming up some, but I haven't had my sweater off yet.

Yesterday, was Elizabeth's gymnastics year end meet. She did great---all blue ribbons for 4 events. When they passed out trophies, she was one in only five of over a hundred kids that got all blues. Her floor routine was her best event.

I've been letting Mitchell drive. He's good---although he likes to get the car up to the speed limit in under 3 seconds.

Today, it is beautiful and in the 70's. After Mass, we went to IHOP for breakfast. We're going to the mall later to buy Sandy's birthday presents. She is 40 today.

Anyway, I've been out on the patio for the last hour or so. Elizabeth came out and asked if she and Victoria could play with their friends who were at the door. I assumed they were going outside. When I came in, they were playing in the house on this gorgeous day. Then, to top it off, Victoria's friend was messing around on Sandy's iPad. Since Victoria wasn't saying anything, I figured it was okay. When we gave it to Sandy last year for her birthday, I thought she'd finally have something of her own. But it didn't work out that way. Right off, Mitchell password protected it for himself! Luckily, that issue has been resolved.

Little by little, it was annoying me that they were playing inside on such a gorgeous day. Finally, I told them that they needed to go outside. They dawdled around for another 10 minutes until I said they had 5 more minutes and had to go.

They couldn't have been outside for 10 minutes when Victoria came in saying that she and her friend were "just walking" through the garage when all of a sudden, the window in Greg's (soon to be Mitchell's) car just shattered. Then there was something about them carrying a baseball bat. I didn't' really even try to get to the bottom of the story. Not my problem. After all, I'm just the babysitter.

PS The plot of the "Broken Car Window" thickens. The girls have woven a story the likes of Edgar Allen Poe. It involves a man in the car who shatters the glass in order to escape. I pointed out the obvious that if he got "in" the car, then he was not locked in. They "swear" the bats were not involved and were pointed down. I'm letting Mitchell handle it as it is his car. He discovered that the car is locked, so a captive is not involved. He's trying to get them to "own up" to something.

All the kids were in the garage. I came out with my camera (can't believe I didn't bring the computer connector thing---I'll have to post the pictures later this week) and told the kids I needed to take photos for evidence and that I was calling the police. They started to really get worked up. Their story has changed a half dozen times. Either which way, I'm pretty convinced that those not so innocent bats were somehow involved.

Morgan and I got it all cleaned up while Mitchell watched. I asked him what was wrong with that picture. He just smiled. I ended up making him get down on his hands and knees to vacuum under the car. After, Morgan had to come to his rescue as he couldn't figure out how to wind up the cord. Men!!! What would they do without us?





3 comments:

  1. Babysitting. Not a job for the faint hearted..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on my blog, Barbara...hope there's been no more 'mysterious' mishaps!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Maybe one of the best "versions" of what actually happened might make it to Storytelling Sunday too - with the photographic evidence to boot!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.