Saturday, May 26, 2012

Memorial Day Party

Our family swim party and barbecue has been planned for a week. This family always wants a schedule of events. Here it is:
10 a.m.---Steph and Mindy do the title page for they AYM albums.
11 a.m.---Everyone else arrives---Nicky, Morgan, Jordan and Spencer---pool time.
1 p.m.---bocce tournament (I wanted washers, but was overruled).
3 p.m.---barbecue---teriyaki chicken, salad, corn on the cob, zucchini and cherry cheese trifle (recipe below).
4-6---poker game

Friday at "Happy Hour" which started at 3 p.m. because the girls got off early---we discussed the schedule. The girls were complaining that I only scheduled 2 hours for poker. I said, "for crying out loud. It's an 8 hour party as is. We can play longer if everyone wants to."

As it turned out, there was no poker game at all. Apparently, a 6 hour party is long enough!! They all left by 4. That was okay with us. We were able to go to Mass tonight. Now Sunday is completely open!

Hope you all are having a good holiday weekend too.

Here are a few pictures from the day:
                             
They made up some sort of crazy football game last year. They all seem to love playing it.
 Jordan and Spencer lounging and watching the game.
 Morgan and Stephanie
                             
 Stephanie, Nicky and Morgan
 Mindy is the referee and score keeper.
 Butch is in the back. He got in the poll last weekend too. That's a record---two weeks in a row.
The bocce game. The family makes fun at the way I say it, but I'm Italian and grew up hearing it. I say it 
RIGHT!!!
 These are the two winning teams playing for the money---$16.00. This family likes to have a little bet riding on just about every game we play. Makes it a little more fun. I suggested instead of money, the winners could be excused from kitchen and pool clean-up. They still wanted the money. $2.00 each doesn't break anybody. We always keep the wagers friendly.

                             

 Stephanie and Morgan ended up being the winners.
 The losing teams.
 I was a loser too.

I finished 50 Shades of Grey. I wouldn't recommend it. I actually got bored with it. I will say the marketing for this book has been genius. The book just ends---nothing is resolved---forcing you to get the 2nd and probably the 3rd books. I'm not going to waste my time. I'll find someone who's read them all and find out how it turned out.

Our family book club is reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.  I think I'm going to read it closer to our vacation. If I read it too far ahead, I won't remember anything.

My regular book club meets on Tuesday. I don't know yet what we'll be reading. I'll start on one of them. We always have two books because we only meet every other month.

And now for the recipe:
Cherry Cheese Trifle*
1-8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1-14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1-12 oz. container of Cool Whip
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1-13 oz. prepared angel food cake
2-21 oz. cans cherry pie filling
Garnish: sliced almonds

In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and condensed milk. Beat at medium speed until smooth. Stir one half of the Cool Whip and almond extract. Set aside.

Tear angel food cake in 1-inch pieces. Place half in the bottom of a trifle bowl. Spoon half the cream mixture over the cake. Top with one can of the pie filling. Repeat layers. Spread remaining Cool Whip on top to the edges. Garnish with the almonds.

*I used light or fat free everything and it was still delicious.

1 comment:

  1. It certainly looks like a lot of fun. Oh, for a pool in the garden (and the weather to enjoy it..)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.