Sunday, May 6, 2012

I Should Have Been Born British

It's been quite awhile since I've participated in "Storytelling Sunday." After you are done here, be sure to take a look at some other great stories from my friend, Sian's blog "From High in the Sky."
Storytelling Sunday

I've always said that in my next life, I want to come back British. I just love everything about the UK. My favorite books and authors are English---my favorite book of all time: Wuthering Heights (plus, my 2nd favorite movie of all time---the original, of course, with Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon Wuthering Heights) not to mention all those great bands from the 60's that were part of what is considered the "British Invasion" here in the states: The Rolling Stones, Herman's Hermits (I used to smooch Peter Noone on the back of the album cover), Freddy and the Dreamers---I could go on and on, but there's only one group that epitomized the era---The Beatles.

I first saw them on the Ed Sullivan show when I was in the 5th grade. I remember my dad criticizing their hair. I saved my money to buy their album----it was my first album purchase. When I went to the Gem store to buy it, the lady there told me that the album titled, "The Beetle Bugs" was the same thing but much cheaper. What did a 10 year old kid know. Looking for a bargain, I bought it, only to find out that I had been tricked. Thinking back, the lady probably didn't really know anything about the Beatles. It took me a long time to save up another $3.00 to get "Meet the Beatles."

By the time I was in the 7th grade, 3 of my girlfriends and I started our own Beatles group. Each of us was one of the "boys." I was George. We flipped our hair over our headbands and used tennis rackets for guitars. We sang every song we could get our hands on.

There's really a reason I bring this all up. This past week, the whole family went to see "Rain" a tribute to the Beatles. Butch and I had already seen it a couple of years ago. Stephanie and Mindy wanted to make it a family affair. After all, they grew up on Beatles music too. Even the teenagers loved it. I impressed myself by knowing the words to EVERY song but one. The only disappointment was they didn't sing my favorite:  If I Fell. Oh, one other disappointment---just about everyone there was OLD! But not us!

In my next life---about being British---did I mention the tea?

10 comments:

  1. Lol! I am feeling for the ten year old you though..

    Thanks for joining in again this month Barbara, it's always a lot of fun to see what you come up with

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post!
    Have a nice Sunday,
    Cheers from France

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely story. I fell in love with Ringo in 1962 or was it 1963.... anyway, my friend got tickets to see them in Cardiff and chose me to go with her!!! I stayed at her house and we promised each other that we would not be like those "common" girls and scream when the Beatles appeared. We failed. Somewhere I still have the singles I bought back then ~sigh~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely story Barbara..I would have been very cross about that first album!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful story and memories. Shame about the first album :( Glad you all enjoyed the concert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sometimes I think I should have been born in America as I love so much of your culture and lifestyle! Great memories of a great era so sorry about the album though and glad you got it in the end

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful set of memories Barbara. Glad you got to see 'Rain' with your family. I love 'If I fell...' too, bet you know all the words.
    Thank you for sharing. Now, about that cuppa?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That store clerk should have let you return the record for the correct one - after all, it was HER mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a shame you couldn't return that first purchase, but I am sure the mistake made you more determined than ever to save the next $3! At least you got their eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did your post ever brinig back memories. My best memory of that time was actually getting to see them in concert - oh my eardrums will never be the same. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.