Thursday, March 1, 2012

After 12 Years---A Diagnosis!

After all these years we finally have a concrete diagnosis for the cause of my chronic hives. I have CMV. Here's the definition and a little more about it:


What is Cytomegalovirus (CMV)?

CMV is a common virus that infects 50 to 80 percent of people at some time during their lives but rarely causes obvious illness. It is a member of the herpesvirus family. Other members of the herpesvirus family cause chickenpox, infectious mononucleosis, fever blisters (herpes simplex type I) and genital herpes (herpes simplex type II). Like other herpesviruses, CMV infection can become dormant for a while and may reactivate later. The virus is carried by people and is not associated with food, water or animals.
Although the virus is not highly communicable, it can be spread from person to person by direct contact. The virus is shed in the urine, saliva, semen and to a lesser extent in other body fluids.

Most children and adults who are infected with CMV do not develop symptoms. Those who develop symptoms may experience an illness resembling infectious mononucleosis and have fever, swollen glands and feel tired.

CMV remains in the body throughout a lifetime.

Obviously I've had this since I was a kid---maybe even since I had chicken pox at age 5. I started getting fever blisters in high school and was plagued with them throughout my young adult years. I rarely get them now unless I'm sick---which isn't very often.

This also explains why---when I do have a breakout, it puts me to bed with fever, overwhelming weakness and tiredness. I've always said it feels like the flu except worse. Of course, with the prednisone, I can prevent this from happening.

The way my doctor has explained it to me is that my body is continually trying to fight this virus. For me, it only remains dormant for brief periods. Even the smallest things set off a hive reaction. The bad news is there is no medicine available for this. 

My doctor---I love him---didn't even charge me for my visit last week. Anyway, he's going to try me on a homeopathic treatment that he has found successful in the treating of mono---including his own daughter. It's some sort of powder that you get at health food stores. He's calling me today with the details as I was driving when he gave me this information. Jordan and Morgan were with me and think it sounds a little sketchy. I told them that unless he has me snorting the powder, I was going to trust him!! Now that I think of it, I would even be willing to try "snorting" if he recommends it. Anything to get of the pred!

I'll keep you posted on how it's going. The good news is that I am currently back down to 5 MG of prednisone. That's a far cry from the 80 MG I was taking ALL fall. I have to admit, I miss that extra energy and ability to get by on little sleep. I know it's not good for me, but I sure get a lot done during those times.


PS I've posted the layouts for TSRCC. You can see them here:
http://barbaraeadsaym.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you have a name for this thing at last. It is so much easier to deal with if you can shout its name. I keep my fingers crossed that the remedy will give you some relief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I understand that feeling. 80mg is a BIG dose!

    I'm so delighted to hear that you have a diagnosis after such a long time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it's great that you finally have a diagnosis but frustrating that there's no medicine or treatment. Did your doctor do a special test to make the diagnosis?
    Please, don't ever spit on my, okay?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.