Saturday, February 25, 2012

Happiness is a Choice

Yesterday's post was a bit of a downer. I decided to remedy that today as I'm feeling better. I've always believed that happiness is a choice. I woke up at 5:30 and decided I was going to be happier today. So far, so good.

Let me tell you how this weekend was supposed to go. Butch left yesterday (Friday) morning---early---to meet his brother for the Daytona 500. Since he doesn't travel much anymore, I was looking forward to almost 4 full days alone. I can do whatever I want. No cooking, no going out, no making the bed, no getting dressed, no make-up---just total freedom.

I had invited ALL of the girls to come over for a girls night Friday night. Great way to kick off my "free" weekend. My plan was to have a Married with Children marathon, order Chinese food to be delivered, stitch and have a slumber party. Right off that morphed into something completely different. Steph reminded me that she and Jordan had an appointment to tour the University of Tennessee on Saturday. 2 down. Mindy said she'd come for awhile, but had a friend moving to Nashville that day and would need to leave by 10 p.m. to "hang out" with him. Morgan responded in the affirmative. Okay, that sounded fine. All was not lost.

I started off Friday getting ready for my organization class that is today. I ALWAYS underestimate how long things are going to take. I went up to my office and scrapbook room at 7:45 a.m. and didn't come down until 12:30 p.m. Great, half the day is gone already and I haven't done anything really fun yet.

My intention was that our girls night would start at 5:00 or so. Mindy changed that in the morning when she told me that she was getting off work early. Morgan also said she was coming straight from school. Now our girls night was starting at 3:30. Afternoon, shot.

Pretty much it started out according to the plan---except Married with Children turned in to watching the new series The River (which---about an hour into, we decided we didn't like) and then got a movie---Dream House---on Demand. Mindy then said she was leaving around 6:30 since her friend had arrived in town earlier in the afternoon. Okay fine. Morgan was spending the night, so she and I would have the girls night. Down 3.

A little after Mindy left, Morgan asked if she could go out with her friends for a few hours. That was fine with me. I'd just do my own thing for the evening. Then she asked if her friends could spend the night. I asked how many. She said 4. Okay, what the heck. That was fine---remember my feelings about having teenagers around that want to be around? I'm all for it.

The girls got here around 7:15. At about 8, they left to go to Moe's (Mexican fast food). They got back before 9 and never left. I guess it was about 10:30 when Morgan asked if they could watch Dream House. That meant I had to give up "my" tv as we have the basic type cable where you only get all the good stuff on the main tv. But how could I refuse when that meant we'd get 2  viewings of a $4.99 movie. That would make Butch happy. Ultimately, I was pushed to my bedroom. Okay, reading is fine by me.

Suddenly, my weekend is slipping away. Nothing is going according to plan. The kitchen is a mess---which Morgan will clean up---she's really good like that. I think when I get back from my class this afternoon, they will all be gone. I'll read and take a nap. Then it will be time for Mass. I should have the tv to myself this evening. I'm looking forward to some serious stitching.

Then tomorrow will by MY day. I'll play in my scrapbook room all day---getting ready for the Eads Girls Scrapbook Retreat next weekend. Heaven!

Oh wait, I forgot. I have a 7:45 a.m. phone appointment with Apple so I can download some software to Butch's computer. Then I get to figure out some things for his new iPhone. Oh and then don't forget, I have to feed his fish twice a day, turn the light on and off and clean out my closet.

FTS! By the time I do all that it will be Monday---which is already a full day. Tuesday is taken. I guess that means on Wednesday prior to the retreat, I'll be throwing all my "s**t" together at the last minute, grocery shopping and cooking! Sheesh. For an organized gal, this is exactly how I DO NOT like to go.

You know what they say about best laid plans! Maybe next year when Butch goes to Daytona---I'll have the weekend to myself.

I'm starting to feel less happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.