Sunday, December 4, 2011

Storytelling Sunday---Mindy's Story

Since Mindy's birthday is Wednesday, December 7th, it's only fitting (and since I told the story of Stepahanie's birth) that I tell her story.

It all began on January 1st, 1984. I remember sitting in Church thinking that I'd really like to have another baby. But, Sandy was 11 and Steph was 7 at the time and our family was complete. Still, I actually prayed, "God, I'd love to have another baby." I never really gave it another thought---it was just a little statement made that one time---not like I was praying for a baby every day or anything. Besides, I was wrapped up with all my volunteering at St. Therese School, the girls and their activities. Butch was traveling for business quite a lot too. Truly, I never gave it another thought.

In the spring, we met Walter, Chris and family at our lake house in the Ozarks for Easter. I was sick most of the time and had the worse migraine I'd ever had. I spent most of the time in bed. I thought I had the flu. It wasn't until we got home that I had this feeling, "hmmm, could I be...maybe I'm..." So I took an at home test and there it was! Truly, I couldn't believe it! I was so excited.

It was during that same week that we found out Butch was being promoted to Senior Vice-President of Central Parking System and we would be relocating from Kansas City, MO to Nashville, TN. I remember thinking that this was the perfect time. My life was so full and active---which would come to a halt with the birth of a new baby---it would be a good time to move, have no friends or a life---so-to-speak! I could focus on the baby and really enjoy her.

As the time drew near, we got the unexpected, sad news that Butch's mother had passed away suddenly. This was about 3 weeks before Mindy's birth. We went to St. Louis for the funeral. When we got home, I told Butch, "this baby is going to be here in a couple of weeks. We need to discuss the name."

We had a family meeting. Since we had the "S" thing going (not really intentional), I suggested Suzanne or Susannah. Butch wanted Stacy. I can't remember Sandy and Stephanie's "picks," but nothing seemed quite right. Then Butch threw out "Mindy." Although he denies it, I said it was because he had a crush on Pam Dawber from the tv show, Mork and Mindy. We all liked that name and decided to go ahead with Melinda with the intention of the nickname Mindy. That was it, done. Mindy she was. Cute name for a cute girl.

In one year---1984---we had 3 of the top 10 "life stressers" at one time---death of parent, birth of child and relocation to new city. Somehow it all worked out. We've been here for 27 years now.

Little did we know what a blessing Mindy would be to us---and still is. I can't imagine life without her. Thank you, God for answering a fleeting, random prayer.

 
 After the Royal Wedding last spring, fascinators are all the rage. We made this one for the Steeplechase races---the social event of the year.
She's a Tulane grad, new condo owner,  AND a notary! 
For more stories, check out this site:

14 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas! What a wonderful story to share - how lucky that your prayers were answered with such a beautiful daughter. Thank you for sharing your story :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the second story about 1984 I've read today - and that makes it all the more special, becasue we are connecting through time and space! Love that. And of course any Christmas story involving a baby is a wonderful one.

    I'm so glad you discovered us this year Barbara and have been enjoying joining in. It's a pleasure to have you with us. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story - and a beautiful and talented "baby" girl!

    Merry Christmas ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story of your life, and what a clever and talented girl she has turned out, Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a special story especially as you were given the gift of a daughter. It must have been a challenging time for you back in 1984 but your daughter has grown into a beautiful person. You must be so proud!
    Enjoy the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely story...and she sounds like a real blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful story about a beautiful young lady. Such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The power of prayer is amazing isn't it? What a year 1984 was for you. Thank you for sharing your story. Merry Christmas to you

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful story, I loved Mork and Mindy too! Your daughter sounds wonderful and she looks gorgeous Happy Christmas to you all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this is such a beautiful story - Merry Christmas to you and all of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mindy is a beautiful young lady and obviously well loved! What a happy story to share. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet story to share with us.
    When I was pregnant with my second child, we were on a "J" jag. Your Mindy looks like a Mindy to me; although I would have voted for "Susannah". Merry Christmas! S

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Barbara...thanks for stopping by my blog. I love your story about your 'unexpected' blessing- it looks as though she had a fab birthday!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful story. Thanks so much for sharing it. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.