Sunday, December 18, 2011

Storytelling Sunday---Cradle Catholic and Midnight Mass

I wish I could get a "do over." I was born and raised Catholic, but I wish I could do the "learning" part over. There is so much I've forgotten---and maybe never really learned well to begin with. We just memorized everything and lived it. At Mass today, I was thinking about that. When I was little, everything was in Latin. Vatican II changed all that---for the better. Now we've had some more changes that don't really make sense to me. Some of the prayers and responses have changed. I don't understand why---what's changed is so insignificant---the meaning is the same, just minor word changes. I guess it's to make you pay closer attention in church. I don't want to.

While reading the bulletin, I discovered that there isn't going to be an 8:30 a.m. Mass on Christmas---the one we planned to go to. That means Midnight Mass is the only one that could possibly work. That got me thinking about Midnight Masses we went to when we were kids. We lived close to church, so mom and dad let us go---by ourselves. Kind of unbelievable in this day and age. I'd say I was about 10, Ronnie 9, and the twins were 8 when we first started. Midnight Mass---there are a couple that stand out in my mind. First off, it was always bitter cold. One time, on our way home, a drunk driver ran us off the road. We all had to jump in the ditch which was filled with icy, slushy, freezing cold water. We were all crying by the time we got home---more afraid that we'd be in trouble for getting all wet.
We're a little bit younger in this picture. I think I'm about 8 here---not yet going to Midnight Mass by ourselves.

On another occasion, a guy stood too close to the votive candles---we think he was a little drunk. His coat caught on fire. It wasn't funny, but we kids thought it was. Some people started beating on him to put out his coat.

I loved the candles, smell, decorations and especially the music. "Oh Holy Night" was my favorite. But, the best part of Midnight Mass was being able to open our presents when we got home. That's how mom and dad got to sleep in a little bit in the morning.

Tonight, after Mass, I suggested to Butch that we look at Christmas lights. We did that from the time we were first married until the girls were grown. We haven't gone in years. I don't think he wanted to do it, but he humored me. That's why I didn't say anything as we sped through the neighborhoods. There were a couple of times I felt like I got whiplash. People aren't doing the lights like they used to. Still, it was fun.

Now I need to check the Mass schedule at a couple of other churches for Christmas. I don't really think we could do Midnight Mass anymore.

1 comment:

  1. I remember going to midnight mass at St. Vincent with the Eads'. I didn't like that we had to leave the Zimmermann party early to go to mass, but once we got there I enjoyed being in the cozy chapel lit by candles and listening to the Christmas carols. I liked seeing all the children there too. And it was never crowded. As a kid, mass was always more fun when you got to go with other people, so sitting with our cousins was a real treat!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.