Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Renovations Finally Finished

This past Friday marked the last day of work on our front renovation. We had the entire front of the house re-done---upper porch, porch floor, rails, columns, doors, thresholds, lights and hardware. It's been a long time---since June. We had a break in September and part of October as our contractor had to deal with some family medical issues. I'm glad to have it finished. I hate having so many workers around all the time. It's like a revolving door around here---never quiet or relaxing. But it's finally finished. We love how it all turned out. But, now I realize I didn't take a picture of the new columns or a full view of the front of the house. I'll get it and post it later. 

The photos below are all out of order. 
Constructions materials "lived" on the driveway for weeks. There's no reference for how long these things are---like 20 ft.
 The crepe myrtles sure look pretty.
 These are the inside "old" doorknobs.
These are the outside door handles. Plus you can sort of see how bad the doors are---all cracked from the sun. I'll admit, the hardware did not need replacing---it's Baldwin Brass and won't tarnish, but my feeling is if you're going to so much trouble and expense to "fix" things, it might as well look like you did something. So all the "old" had to go.

It's ironic, considering Butch's position in the parking business that we had a virtual parking lot out front most of the summer. I can't tell you how many times we were blocked or had to park on the street. Can you spell "a n n o y i n g?"


 Here's the new hardware. I've always wanted glass knobs. And I love the new doors and finish.
I never realized how long it would take to replace all of the thresholds. A special company had to do them. The old ones were all tarnished---of course, I wanted all shiny and new. All of the thresholds on the French doors across the front of the house have been replaced. The "kicker"---they have to be polished at least once a month to keep them nice. If I can remember, that will be a job for Margarita.
The new doors are cherry. I had little windows put at the top so they would look a lot different from the old. The finish is really pretty and shiny too. The guy that did them is going to do the annual sealing so that they stay this way.

 The hardware on the French doors is the same on the inside and out. These photos are of the outside.

The new coach lights. I picked these because I thought the little "windows" seemed to mimic the windows on the French doors.
 Decorated.



The upper porch floor had to be torn out to make way for the new one. Everything we did is now permanent and maintenance free (except for the front door and the thresholds). No painting required.

It takes a lot to make a house look like new. When we did the inside of the house, I replaced all of the door hinges and window latches. They all get dull and tarnished over the years. I like them shiny and new. Probably the most "over-the-top" thing I've done was have ALL of the electrical outlets replaced (the inside works) replaced from the "builder's beige" to white. I know that the guys that work for me think I'm nuts. I can't help it.

I'm glad it's done. I figure in 10 years when the hinges and latches need to be replaced again, I might not care anymore. After all, I'll be---I can't even type it---it's too big of a number---but it begins with---"7"---OMG---a mere 10 years away. How in the world is that possible? Where has the time gone....downright scary!

2 comments:

  1. It looks stunning! I think my daughter would call it "a house from a movie"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd call it a house from a movie too Sian! Barbara your home is just beautiful. I love your doors. cherry is such a gorgeous colour and the lights are to die for!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.