Sunday, December 4, 2011

One Crazy Busy Weekend!

Wow, what a whirlwind weekend. Since I was having two parties on Saturday, I started the cooking on Friday morning. I made spaghetti sauce and meatballs at 6 a.m. Butch and I had some business to take care at 9 a.m. and then I went as moral support for Mindy's closing at 11 a.m.---she is officially a condo owner in a high-rise (she's on the 10th floor) downtown. Butch wanted to get her moved by the first of the year, but after much arguing discussion, he agreed that it would be too stressful to try to do that during the holidays. She's having some work done---ceiling put in (drywall to go over the exposed concrete), a tile backsplash in her kitchen and some painting, so we're not even going to start the moving part until January. I'm happy to take it slow, be organized about it and do it right. It will be fun that way. I'm very excited to have another decorating project. We went to the flea market last weekend and picked up a few things.

Anyway, back to this weekend.

Friday night was AYM at the Dawkins. Their house was so beautiful. There's just something about the holidays---all the decorations, candles, smells---just everything makes any gathering so special. Normally, we go out to dinner, but Susan decided that she wanted to cook. We had a lovely dinner in her dining room. She made a vegetable lasagna that was really good. I'll be posting the layouts on the AYM blog:
A Year of Memories

Saturday, I was up early getting ready for Mindy's birthday party. Butch grilled the sazitsa early since he was going to be gone most of the day. Mindy was planning on 10 friends. Turns out 2 didn't bother to show up after rsvp'ing "yes." So rude. The girls all seemed to have a good time and even got to witness a HUGE raccoon saunter across the patio and stop at the pond. I told you it's like Snow White's meadow around here. It looked like this guy was ready for hibernation---I'd never seen one so big. The girls went outside to see him as he walked off. He just looked at them and was not in any hurry. I wish I'd gotten a picture.

I made "Grandps's Soup" for lunch with garlic cheese bread and a Texas Sheet Cake for dessert.
Grandpa's Soup is basically a minestrone soup---always a hit. Plus, I was serving that at dinner too, so I made a double batch.
 
Here are the girls with their 3 projects---glittered stars in a wooden spool, tart tin ornaments with vintage earring and crystal dangles and bobby pins with vintage buttons.
This is Mindy's best friend, Rachel from New Orleans. She and another friend of theirs, Drew came in for a long weekend. While the party was going on, Mindy got her dad to go down to the arena and stand in line for Predators tickets. On the day of any home game, they sell 100 tickets at 10 o'clock for $10.00. There's always a huge line, but Butch got there early and waited. He said he was about 30 people back, so I don't know how he managed to get the tickets, but he did. I love that he did that for her---anything for his girls. I love that too. Anyway, Mindy was thrilled. The cheapest seats in the nosebleed section are $35.00.

The party was over by 12:45---I had planned 1:00, so was ahead of the game. By 2 p.m. I had the kitchen cleaned up, dining room cleaned up,  the toasted ravioli fried and the table set for dinner. I couldn't wait to set the table---that's my favorite thing to do.
 Remember the milk bottles I bought in Steeleville, MO this summer? This is what I had planned for them when I got them---not just for Christmas, but the writing on the bottles is red and green, so why not? And the tablecloth---found that at the antique mall in St. Charles. At the time, I thought it was really cool, but had already changed my sunroom colors from red and green to blue and green. Then it hit me---I'd turn it in to a Christmas "thing." I angled it on top of a green tablecloth.
You can see it a little better from this angle. I just love this old stuff. I'd also love to know some of the stories behind them. 

Back to the day.

I took a nap from 2-3, made the salad, hauled the craft supplies upstairs and got ready for 4:30 Mass. Butch played golf with his friends, but got home in time for a shower. We met Stephanie and Nicky at church, got home at 5:45, friends arrived at 6:15. BTW (by the way) it takes an hour for a huge pot of water to boil for 2 pounds of pasta. I invited 3 couples for dinner and poker. It was a fun night, but I think spending all of my poker money has jinxed me. I lost $8.00. That's pretty unusual for me. I guess I'll be due for a BIG win with my family after Christmas! Watch out you guys!

I had a 7 a.m. hair appointment this morning---that's what I love about my friend, Joanie, she takes me early on weekends. She's been known to accommodate me as early as 6:30! Love her.

The rest of the day was spent getting ready for my first AYM/2012 "kick-off" tomorrow with one of my groups. It takes me several hours to write the handouts and put kits together. 

Butch and Stephanie went out for Christmas trees. They go to the same place every year and Butch "makes the deal" with the same guy. He likes the bargaining. We just finished decorating it. Margarita comes tomorrow. I'll be happy to have the house clean and everything finally done for the holidays. It's just fun stuff from here on out. 

I hope you all have your decorating done so you can enjoy the rest of the season!

Other odds and ends coming!

1 comment:

  1. Poor Steph - bad line-up!

    I'm due for a big win, too because I haven't won in like 2 years!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.