Thursday, December 22, 2011

Merry Christmas!

The Lapps' family arrives today for the holidays. We're all pretty excited. Stephanie, Mindy and the girls will "move in" for the duration. It's wild and crazy---but tons of fun---around here. This might be my last post for a few days or even a week. We'll see. I might be able to slip something in during the "wee"hours.

I'm down to 20MG of prednisone which I'm really happy about. That's still a far from my maintenance level of 5MG, but a far cry from the more dangerous level of 80MG I've been on all fall. I'm feeling a lot better too. I'm sleeping normally again---5-6 hours---normal for me. I feel well rested. I'm still all bloated and don't know how long my face is going to feel so tight. I don't like that---it's bothersome and weird feeling. Hopefully that will go down a little soon.

Enough about me---oh wait, this whole blog is mostly about me! Really, though, I have some Christmas photos I want to share.
My day group met at Nancy's last week for our annual Christmas party. This is her "live" tree. I just love seeing everyone's trees and decorations during the holidays. I don't get to see too many as most people don't do things anymore. I can't really recall the last time we were invited to a Christmas party.

 I thought this was the coolest idea---just heap a bunch of stuff on a red tray---all glittery and sparkly.

Nancy even put a feather tree up in her scrapbook room. It is the cutest thing. I told her I'd leave it up all year round. I was so in love with this that I found a pink one on Ebay. Now, I have to figure out where I'm going to put it. I'll have to get rid of something---my scrapbook room is completely full. Believe me, I'll make room for it. I just think it's the cutest thing.
My friend, Sally invited me over for a glass of wine and to view her magnificent tree. Actually, I invited myself. We used to get together weekly. We went through the Master Gardener program together and spent a lot of time in each other's gardens. When the girls were little, we bored them with many a conversation using the latin names for all of our plants. They still joke about that.
Since I've known Sally, she's always had these 12 foot trees. About 3 years ago, she finally went to artificial due to the cost. It truly is the most incredible tree---her ornaments are really cool too---lots of handmade, designed by her. In their old house, the tree fell one year. That only had to happen once---she tied it to the ceiling after that.
This is Kim enjoying a laid back moment. It was the first time these girls got to experience Sally's tree. I sort of invited them.

Mary Jo, Susan and Sally on the far right. Sally and I have been friends for over 20 years. We started out in St. Matthew's Women's Club together. We worked on many fashion shows and other projects together. Actually, I've been friends with all of these girls for over 20 years. I was always the chair person of everything and they were my "committee chairs." They are quite a talented bunch. We worked well together and had a ball doing it all. If it weren't for A Year of Memories, I'd only see them a couple times a year for lunch. At least this way, I still see them every month. Mary Jo is in my book club and we meet for lunch now and then, so I see her a little more. I'm sorry I don't have a picture of Madelyn---she arrived a little late and I forgot. Her daughter, Alyson (Al) and Mindy are best friends. I see her regularly too.
This is probably the most unusual Christmas present I've ever received. Nancy gave me this old vegetable drawer. I love it! My cookbooks kept falling over, so I used this old potato masher as a book end. Worked perfect.
Here you can see the edge of the drawer that says "vegetables." I just put it up. I don't know if Butch has noticed, but if I call his attention to it, I'm sure he will think it's stupid---as he thinks about most of my junk. I just say back to him---"well, Mr. "let's recycle everything"---this is the ultimate in recycling---
re-purposting other people's junk."
Some of the cookies we made last Saturday on "family baking day." I haven't let anybody eat any of them, until yesterday when Mindy begged for 2 to put in her lunch and Steph's. I caved.
We're all set with a variety of coffees, teas and hot chocolate for the Kuerig machine.
"The Girl"must have needed a roll. But then she forgot to take it. No telling what she used instead.

And now I leave you with a blast from the past.
Mindy's two weeks old here. Reminds me of Randy from "A Christmas Story." When he had his snowsuit on, he couldn't put his arms down. Then when he fell, he couldn't get up.
I surprised the girls by having Santa stop by. Mindy wasn't too happy. I think this was 1986.
This time, they were really surprised. Sandy and Stephanie would rather forget this picture. They were dancing or something when Santa arrived. After all, it was the 80's when leg warmers were all the rage! This was 1987---Sandy was a sophomore at St. Cecilia Academy.

I hope everyone has the BEST holiday and that you get everything on your list!

1 comment:

  1. I loved seeing your Christmas photos today Barbara. Prednisone? Been there, done that, you have my sympathy :) That tight feeling will start to go quite quickly, even if the actual puffiness takes a while to disappear. You'll see your chin coming back very soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.