Monday, November 21, 2011

Visiting the Lapps Famlly

We have been going to the Lapps family's house the week before Thanksgiving for many years now. It's always a fun trip. Sandy's house is beautiful and welcoming. This is what greeted us---really feels like Thanksgiving---since I didn't even get my fall stuff out this year. I knew I'd be facing Christmas as soon as we got home, so didn't even have the energy to think about fall---plus we've been traveling so much, we weren't really home to enjoy it.
 It was nice to experience a little of the season here. Add to that, the COLD weather (although one morning, Mindy sent me a picture of her temperature gauge in her car---23 in Nashville---the difference is Nashville got up to the 60's---Kalamazoo doesn't get past 40's) and of course, I wasn't prepared. I only brought a denim jacket. I borrowed one of Sandy's pashminas and was good to go.
 This just cracked me up. Elizabeth still has trouble pronouncing her "R's." But this is proof that she doesn't even hear the "R's"---she says and hears "yiez" instead of "years." That last word is stage.
 Our little "daisy scout" made our dessert---apple crisp---from their apple picking outing. It was very good---hot with vanilla ice cream.
Showing off the "goods."

Sandy and I spent two days shopping. I got just about all of my Christmas shopping done. We kidnapped the girls and took them to Taco Bell where we met Butch and Greg for lunch. That might not have been such a good thing after all as they begged to "skip" school for the afternoon. We didn't let them, so Elizabeth wasn't happy about that.

Sandy is a great cook (and Greg too). They made a couple new recipes that were really good. I plan to make them in the next couple weeks. One recipe was for a roast beef and provolone sandwich that was pretty easy but sooo good. The other was a shrimp and pasta dish. Both were delish.

Friday night we went to Red Lobster---always good. While we were eating, Mitchell called to say that his plans for the evening were all "screwed up." He was supposed to be going to a party with friends. It was all arranged with the other mother who was to take them---the party was 45 minutes away. Add to that, the boys basketball practice and getting ready time---there wasn't going to be much time at the party. Somehow, he got left behind after practice by his friends. Not surprising---we all know how teenagers can be so flakey. Anyway, Sandy and I took Mitchell to the party. By the time we got out there, there was only about an hour to kill before it would be time to pick him up. Instead of coming back home, we went to Walmart. He got 2 hours at the party and had a good time, so it was worth it. By the time his friends got there, they only had 45 minutes at the party. Turns out Mitchell got the better end of that deal.

I managed to squeeze in a few games with the girls too. Before we left on Saturday, Elizabeth taught me a new one---"Stare"---that was fun. You get a minute to look at a card and try to memorize everything on it. Then you are asked a few questions about it. If you get the answers right, you get to move around the board. We do take advantage of every moment.

I can't believe I didn't snap some shots of the other kids. I guess when I had my camera out, they weren't around.

They'll be here for Christmas which is just around the corner. I can't believe Thanksgiving is this week. This fall has just flown by. Where is the time going... pretty scary, really!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.