Saturday, October 1, 2011

Storytelling Sunday---I've Always Been a Faller!

Last week, I told the story of my embarrassing moment at the Louvre. This is another travel related embarrassment. And for once, it's a "short story."

Butch is always so considerate of me when going up or down stairs. He knows I have a "problem" with touching the handrail. I put my hand on his shoulder---going down and on his arm going up---just need a little stabilization. Otherwise, I might topple and fall down the steps. They've always been a challenge. Actually, it's probably a "payback" for all the times I faked illness by falling down the last few steps at home and telling mom that I "got dizzy because I'm so sick." It worked like a charm every time.

Now I'm going to tell you about my most famous fall of all. Butch and I were in NewYork during the holiday season. That was about 1998---he surprised me with the trip and had it all planned---theater tickets and all. We went to St. Patrick's Cathedral for Mass on Sunday and then to the Plaza afterwards for brunch. We were having a perfectly delightful time. I decided to go up (two steps) and get dessert. On the way back, I missed not one step, but both of them. I fell flat out---and worst of all---in to my desserts. People gathered around--it was quite a commotion. I got up, cleaned up as best as I could. Luckily, Butch had his back to me across the room. I returned to my seat without any desserts. He asked me why I didn't have any dessert---he knows my sweet tooth. I told him I changed my mind. He then said, "so why are you wearing that whipped cream on your shoulder?" About that time, our waiter came over and asked if I was all right. I had to confess what had happened.

I think he was secretly happy that he hadn't witnessed my fall. Otherwise, he would have felt compelled to come to my rescue and thus share in my embarrassment. That's why he "helps" me on stairs. He forewarns me about all kinds of circumstances, uneven pavement, small steps, divits in the side walk---just any unusual terrain. Even if he does it to avoid his own embarrassment, I love that!!

PS If you would like to read the story from the gal that started Storytelling Sunday, click here. She is from the UK and is really a talented writer. You can also read stories from other people that join her on Sundays with their stories. If you check them out, be sure to leave a comment.

9 comments:

  1. Just popping in from Sians blog. Its horrible falling over but in such a public place! Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, thanks for joining in again this month! Link your readers back to the other stories and then they can join in too :)

    I've been reading back about your trip to London - it's a lot of fun reading your perspective

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear, I hope you got the desert in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And don'e we always remember those really embarrassing moments!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh - I feel your pain - I'm another person who has stair issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, stairs are something I am careful with as well! Loved your story :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have fallen in public before it is soooo embarrassing I really feel for you, Butch sounds wonderful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, how embarassing. I am glad you have Butch to hold on to. He sounds like a knight in shining armour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh, that sounds like an embarrassing fall! I've not visited your blog before, but I've been enjoying reading all about your visit to London.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.