Thursday, June 2, 2011

Mitchell Graduates!

The boy's got it going on----brains---his report card was all A's and one B+---he has his sights set on Vanderbilt, but will also apply to Notre Dame (his dad's alma mater)---athletic---he loves and excels at baseball and basketball. He's done with football and has no desire to play that in high school. He's starting to play golf. Butch says he definitely has potential---he's just a natural athelete. And handsome to boot. Plus, he's just really a nice kid.

 Mitchell is getting so tall. Greg is 6' 2". Looks like it won't be much longer and Mitchell will top that. He can already wear his dad's shoes.
The girls have not been all that happy about how many times they've had to go to Mass this week. I told them that I didn't feel sorry for them because I had to go EVERY DAY growing up. Saturday was our only day off, but since we lived so close to Church, on Monday mornings, the nuns would ask where we were. Thus we had to go on our only day off. Plus all the extra time spent in Church---stations of the Cross, the rosary, benedictions, confessions, etc. The girls weren't "buying" it. I guess it's the type of story our parents told us---"I had to walk 5 miles to school and then one day I forgot my lunch..." Those were the "olden" days kids don't relate to.  

All this Church has caused Elizabeth to say that she hates this school, "It's all about God." Kind of a sad commentary if the Church is already losing them at 5 years old.

Unfortunately for them, they have to go to the end of the school year Mass tomorrow and then Confirmation this weekend.

One interesting thing---while going through the graduation program, I noticed that one of Mitchell's classmates was named Jaqueline Rose---same as our Jackie---what a coincidence. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Have you ever googled yourself? Try it. There are lots of people who share your same name. 

During the graduation Mass, the eighth graders give flowers to their mothers. It reminded me of when Sandy brought me my flower when she was graduating. She remembered it too as she leaned over and said, "Mom, do you remember what happened when I gave you your rose?" How could I forget? Mindy was 17 months old and on my hip. As soon as I took the rose from Sandy, Mindy reached out and snapped the bud off. Sandy burst in to tears and said, "she ruins everything!" I wouldn't say she ruined everything, but she always wanted to be the center of attention! Luckily, everyone in the family loves Mindy---she can pretty much get away with anything.

One good looking kid.

Here you have to look really close to see the smudged fingerprints on the moldings over the doorways of the Lapps house. Sandy can't reach them to clean. She says that Mitchell and ALL of his friends cannot walk through the house without jumping up and touching the molding. They have 9ft. ceilings, so it's a challenge to these basketball playing boys who are all now towering over Sandy.


Mitchell says that his goal by the end of summer is to be able to reach the molding at the bottom of the upper rail---about 10 ft. He says that when he can reach that, that means he'll be able to dunk the ball in the basket. Although you can't tell by this picture, he's only about 2" short of reaching. I'm sure he'll make it by the end of summer. 

The amount of food he consumes is UNBELIEVABLE!! The t-bone steak he had for dinner last night filled his 10" dinner plate. It was a steak that would have served our whole family!

It's a whole different world with boys! Sandy is trying to adjust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.