Saturday, April 9, 2011

This and That




On the Soap Box
At first, I thought it was a good idea for the homeless to sell those little newspapers. I thought it gave them a purpose and maybe a little dignity---that, rather than "begging," they were at least "working" for the money. Well, now, there are more homeless than ever---on just about every street corner. At first, I gave to just about every one---I always think, what if this person were actually Jesus in disguise. Now it's just too much. They don't even look homeless anymore---you know---dirty, tattered, grungy (I know, that's politically incorrect, but it's the truth). I just do what everyone else does now---try not to make eye contact and drive on. The saddest is the woman with the little "mentally impaired" girl (is that politically correct?). They usually sell their papers in front of McDonald's. That way, they get money AND food. They are the only ones I really think about---where they sleep at night. I just wonder....

Buying American
Out of respect for my mom, I decided that whenever I have a choice, I will try to buy American---especially the big ticket items. No more foreign cars for us---even though I still don't really get that---the Nissan plant here in TN uses thousands of workers putting together those cars. Matt tells me it's because the profits go overseas. But what about the supposedly American made cars that are made in Mexico and Canada? He tells me you have to check the vin number to actually figure out where the car is made. Even if I could remember those country codes, would I be able to find the car I want made here? I just don't get it, but that's okay, I'm only buying American made cars from now on. Period.

I'm not going to get fanatical about this. I already know how hard it is to find clothing made in America. I just wish there were some huge department stores called American Made or something. I'd shop there exclusively---even if it was more expensive. That's a pretty good idea. I wish someone would do it. I think there are a lot of people that would shop there---unless you can't find enough stuff made in America---then it would be a mini-mart.

While shopping for my new sunroom furniture, I came across a manufacturer called Lloyd Flanders that's been making furniture since the 1920's. When the salesman told me it was made in America, I looked no further. He didn't realize that was the selling point for me. Yes, it was more expensive, but I'm okay with that. After we went through all the regular sales crap, "oh, this is the regular price and our price is..., and we give free delivery and I'm going to give you a 5% designer discount, blah, blah, blah." I just wanted to say, "Just shut up and cut the crap. Tell me how much, let me make the deposit and I'm outta' here." When I got home, there was a message to call the store. I called back and a manager said, "Oh, Mrs. Eads, we didn't realize you were one of our "premier" customers. I'm going to give you another 10% off!" Wow!! That NEVER happens! I was really excited. Already buying American has paid off! By the time I got that discount, it was the same as the cheaper stuff. I know, it still would have been cheaper with a discount on the cheaper stuff. Anything I have to do to justify the cost....

Easter is in the House

Or at least it was---now the house is all torn up due to re-decorating, remodeling and painting. What a mess, but it looked like spring for awhile.
 I made this centerpiece last year---copied a Martha Stewart idea---just a pedestal cake plate with grass and heaped with eggs. 
I found the pink bunny last year. The baskets of eggs are really old. The little blue and pink bunnies I found at Cracker Barrel. And of course, one of my tableaus would not be complete without books. In this case, Beatrix Potter with Peter Rabbit and Aunt Jemima Puddleduck on top.


When I bought these ceramic bunnies at an antique mall, I knew they would be perfect for Easter decorating. Notice more books in the background? I picked these just for the color---they are part of a collection of children's books that actually belong to Stephanie. She hasn't asked for them. The foil bunnies in the background---I can't remember who told me this---but someone took theirs back to the store because when they unwrapped them, they weren't chocolate! Duuhhh! Not that I'm so smart, I could tell by the weight.

These chocolate eggs look so real you are tempted to take a bite.
Scams
I decided to sell my old sunroom furniture and window treatments on Craig's List. I've done Ebay lots of times, but never Craig's List. I'm not a worrier, but since the Craig's List killer has been on the loose, Pam has me a little freaked out. She's worries about everything. Anyway, I listed the furniture, pillows, ottoman coffee table and 45 ft. of window treatments (see photo below). Within a couple of hours, I got 2 inquiries. I responded. The next morning, one emailed me that they wanted to buy it "sight unseen" and would send me a cashier's check with an additional $25.00 to secure the sale. Once I cashed the check, they would send a moving truck by to pick up the furniture. Now anyone that knows me, knows that I believe everyone and trust everyone. But, for some reason, this just bothered me. I just felt like something wasn't quite right. I started to accept the offer, but still hesitated. I went to the Craig's List website and looked under Scams. The first thing that popped up was about "fraudulent cashier's checks." After you cash the check, the bank comes back to you later and you are held responsible. Now that's not right in any way shape or form. The BANK should be the one to know if the check is fraudulent. If they don't know, how are you supposed to? Anyway, all this for some used wicker furniture? I ended up just deleting the email. And wouldn't you know, the second "buyer" made me the same offer?? 

It's not that I don't think the room still looks good, but it's been 16 years and I'm ready for a change. Plus, this was cheap furniture to begin with and was never all that comfortable---not terrible---but not the type of furniture that you wanted to spend the day reading in either.
A Treasure and New Family Heirloom At our family reunion last week, my cousin, Julie gave me 2 tablecloths that belonged to my grandma Zimmermann. I'm so excited to have them as I have nothing from her. This blue and green one will be perfect in my kitchen. The other will work in the sunroom---I don't know why I didn't take a photo of that one. Stay tuned---I'll post pictures later when the work is done, to show how I used them.


Fashion (mis)Statement
This month for A Year of Memories, the assignment is about fashion---I challenged everyone to find pictures of the guys in various styles of clothing through the years. This vintage, color-blocked, terry cloth robe, was a Christmas present I gave Butch in 1974. He has had this thing for over 35 years. A couple of years ago, he finally put it in the "Goodwill" pile. The girls saw it and thought it was so hilarious that he still had it, that they took it, kept it and gave it back to him for Christmas. We have to keep it now---I mean, come on---who keeps anything for 35+ years anyway?? That would be Butch. He has a bike in the garage that has no tires and you can't even get any parts for it---German made from 1960 something. But we have to keep it.....and he says I have hoarding problems....

 In all fairness, I thought I would show his closet. It's impeccable. He'll leave all of his crap laying around the bathroom, draped on the wall, tub, and chair to keep his closet looking like this. I used to gather everything up and dump it in his closet. He thought Margarita was doing it. I finally "fessed up." But why should I have to look at a mess in the bathroom so his closet can look like this?? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Babysitting Jeannette
It's no secret about how I feel about animals---any animals. I plain don't like 'em---they're stinky and unsanitary. I've had my share of them over the years, but never liked them. I'll admit, I've gotten attached to a few things, but that's different than actually liking/loving them. So, frankly, I don't "do" animals. Butch is the one who handles anything slightly animal related.
The Lapps family had to bring Jeannette along with them on Spring Break. They hid her in the hotel while we were in St. Louis. Her water bottle was leaking, so they thought they would have to get a new one. I had the kids with me when I saw a Pet Smart. I mentioned it and Elizabeth said, "no, grammy, my coupon is for PetCo." That cracked me up. Then Victoria (who is the actual owner of Jeannette), said, "no, Elizabeth, that's not a coupon, it's your frequent buyer card." So funny. Looks like the kids have inherited the "thrifty" gene from Butch.

Then the plan was to leave Jeannette here with Butch while they went on to Atlanta for the week. It was dejavu for me---no surprise---Butch had to go out-of-town which left me to care for her. Elizabeth had given us explicit instructions. It turned out to not be so bad---except late at night when I forgot about her and thought someone was trying to get in the house. I'm not at all afraid to be alone, but that did freak me out. It took about a minute for me to realize that it was just Jeanette, frolicking in her "penthouse" of a cage---as Sandy said, a $100 set-up for a $20. hamster. It even has a swimming pool---I think. Anyway, I 'll admit, she's pretty cute---grey, white and teeny---not like those tan non-descript type that my girls had. Mindy reminded me of hers that had the infected nose that I had to rub cream on since Butch was out-of-town back then too. At least I didn't have to have any type of hand-to-hand contact with Jeannette.

I Work Fast
This has to be a record for me. I had 10 family portraits of various sizes to be framed. It only took me 20 minutes! Yes, I did use the same moldings on some of them, but still---20 minutes. I'm very decisive. I have things to do, places to go, people to meet. Can't waste time.

The Doyle and Debbie Show
If you ever come to Nashville, you MUST be sure to be here on a Tuesday night. That is the only time you can catch "The Doyle and Debbie Show." It is hysterical---an old-timey, twangy, country, comedy show. With songs like "Blue Stretch Pants,"  "I ain't no homo, but you sure look good to me," and "Fat Women in Trailers," they cover every politically incorrect thing there is. Check them out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQuFj36jR_8&feature=related
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.