Thursday, February 17, 2011

I'm a Nervous Wreck!

I've never been the worryin' type. But that has all changed with my grandkids---specifically the teenagers. I never dreamed I'd feel like this---it's downright almost paralyzing for me. I'm hoping I'm on edge for a variety of reasons that will go away when I can taper down from this high dose of prednisone that I'm on. I'm hyper, jittery, can't sleep, highly emotional, and just worried all the time. I guess it doesn't help that Jordan had that accident the first day she got her license. Steph is a wreck too----the unbelievable insurance rate for a teen driver was completely unexpected---and this doesn't even account for what it might go up to since the accident---not to mention that it was still our car, so our insurance is going to be impacted too. With Morgan driving next year, she doesn't know how she'll swing it. The girls are already on the hunt for their summer jobs. They're going to need them.

With all that being said, you can understand my worry about Jordan taking herself to a doctor's appointment today---in an area (Hillsboro Village area for you locals) that she is unfamiliar with. I had to pick up Morgan to take her to the orthodontist. Jordan came out to the car for me to explain to her how to get to the doctor's since I've always been the one to take them. I drew her a little map and then worried she might try to look at it while driving. I told her to call me when she got there. She called me about 15 minutes later while parked in a church parking lot to tell me that she had gone the wrong way. She thought she knew where she needed to go, but wanted to verify that with me. About 15 minutes after that, she called me to say she had arrived---although she had passed it up and had to turn around. Whew!!! I told her to call me when she finished at the doctor's so I could explain what she needed to do to get home. There is not a light where she needed to make a left turn during rush hour traffic. I had her go right to the next light, make a right, turn around and go back to the light. That worked. I think I'm going to give her the advice that she needs to figure out how she can go everywhere by just making right turns. Works for me.

I started drinking before I even got the call that she had made it home safely. She said that once she got to the Green Hills area, she knew where she was. I'm on my second glass of wine and have a buzz for drinking on an empty stomach. That's all I need now on top of everything else is to turn into an alcoholic!

On a happier note, it was a good day at the bridge table. I don't know if we came in---I kind of doubt it---but I was happy to bid and make a slam that not another single person in the room bid. Most of the people won't try for it unless they think they have enough points. If I'm 3 points away, I'm willing to risk it. On this particular hand, there was no way I could make it. My only hope was to confuse the opponents by playing back and forth and all around so that they couldn't figure out my last 3 cards. My opponent tossed the jack of clubs and kept the king of diamonds. By end playing it, my little dinky 6 of clubs took the slam winning trick! I was pretty excited about that.

Then about 2 hands later, I doubled a 5 heart contract---meaning I did not think they would make it, so we'd get more points. Not only did I have 4 hearts to the king, I had a single Ace of spades, Ace, king and queen of clubs and 19 high card points---just about half the points in the deck. There's no way she could make it. You have to have 26 points to make 4---28 for 5. Anyway, to keep this short, the distribution was so out of whack, that I only took 2 tricks. Bummer! That cost us big time!

After bridge, I had about an hour before picking up Morgan. I hit Target for a little speed and impulse shopping. Picked up some disposable clothes (any clothes you buy at Target), a few half-price Valentine's items, 3 books, and some tortilla chips. I only went to get paper plates and napkins and new underwear. I didn't get any of those things, but managed to spend $200. It adds up fast. I had to pay for all of it out of my allowance. Technically, the tortilla chips should come out of the family budget, but that $3.00 seems like the least of it!!

Wow, I'm feeling really good now. Writing is cathartic for me. Or it could still be the wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.