Friday, November 19, 2010

Handling the Estate

Well, I've had my first "screw up"---at least I think it's my first.

I never even thought about canceling mom's Charter cable. I thought the basic she had was through the apartment. Not a big deal as her bill was only $5.38 a month. But, when I called (and couldn't figure out why I didn't get an October bill) they said that I needed to return the box. To make a very long and frustrating story short, Claudia at Brentmoor Village is going to take the box to Charter for us.

I called Charter back. Here's the kicker: I am not authorized on mom's account to cancel it---she didn't put anyone down to make cable decisions for her---is that a bunch of crap or what? Anyway, I fought with the gal, told her I couldn't fax the death certificate, couldn't scan it---just played dumb---she would just have to take my word for it. She ended up looking up Baue Funeral Home to verify that mom died and that I'm not just some jerk trying to cancel an old lady's cable (I wonder how often that happens). She even went so far as to say that I couldn't have gotten a bill because they have strict rules that bills are not to be forwarded (which is probably why I never received an October bill). Somehow, this one slipped through.

The bottom line is that when the box is returned, the account will be canceled and a final bill will be sent. Hmmm, it just occurred to me that they didn't ask for my address. I might not ever get it! Their loss. If I do get it, it will cost us about $12.00 (she said). Even though it's my mistake---I'm taking it out of the estate!!! No complaints, please!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.