Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Southern Boys Are Raised Right!


Southern boys are definitely raised right. I can't say that I've had much experience with teen boys for quite a few years now. Last summer, Jordan's boyfriend, Nathan was the first in a long time. He was very polite, but also very shy. You might remember that he prepared and brought lemon squares to a family dinner. Very sweet.

This year, the girls both have boyfriends (as previously reported)---identical twins---Cameron and Carson. They are the nicest boys. They always greet us with a handshake when they arrive. They say "yes, mam and no mam". They actually converse with us---and in a very relaxed way---nothing awkward about it---as if they've known us for years. They always say goodbye and "thanks for having us"---which usually includes another handshake. I'm not so sure about the handshake thing for a woman, I think next time I'll pull them in for a hug---that's very southern too.

Today, Morgan called at 6:45 a.m. to find out about our plans. With the Lapps' family here this week, we've been pretty busy. The plan for this morning was to go to the Pfunky Griddle for breakfast. It's a really neat place where each table has a built in griddle. You cook your own food. I knew the kids would get a kick out of it. Afterwards, we were going school shoe shopping at Lonnie Young's. Morgan asked if she and Carson could come. That surprised me as what teenagers want to hang out with the family and go shoe shopping?

Jordan and Cameron had planned to come, but were held up at the DMV. Jordan has lost her permit, so Steph took her to get a replacement. Cameron had to tag along in order to have a ride here. Butch, Greg and Mitchell were fishing.

Carson was so much fun to have around. He was very nice to the little girls and actually engaged them in conversation. He held the door at the restaurant, picked a napkin up off the floor when we were leaving and even opened the car door for me. I told him that he could stick around, to which he replied with the pull down the fist in the air sign, "YES, I knew sucking up would work!" That cracked me up. He thanked me for taking him to breakfast---just an all around nice kid. I think Victoria might have a crush on him---heck, maybe I do too. How do you spell C-O-U-G-A-R?

PS The photo was from their sister's wedding. The guy she married is from Scotland. The girls said the guys weren't too happy to wear the kilt. I think they look cute.

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.