Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Those annoying cell phones!

Here is an email that I sent to the girls this morning. 

"Okay girls, properly warn the "kids"---there will be no cell phones allowed in the dining room or on Christmas Eve---not even in the room!

I thought of this as I'm thinking more and more about how offended I am when cell phones are constantly ringing. To me it just sends the message that "I don't think you are important enough to spend time with, so I need to get this because whoever is calling is more important than you". Seriously, I know this is my problem as everyone seems to think it's okay to annoy everyone around them with their calls. 

I'm having my "day" group luncheon here today. I've made it really nice---good china, hand-made table favors and all. I was thinking of posting a sign on the front door to leave your cell phones in the car. So you see, I'm not just picking on the kids. Really, except for certain times (like dinner), I could care less that the kids are texting, playing games, etc. 

I just figured I can set the rules for my house! Of course, your dad doesn't get a say!!"

End of email....

I'm not saying that cell phones haven't been the greatest invention since sliced bread, I'm just saying that there needs to be some etiquette that goes along with them. Just a few common courtesies would be nice. Okay, if you must answer your phone, then take the call away from present company. Usually, I just hit the button that makes it stop ringing and deal with it later. If it's an emergency (which is why I originally got a cell phone), then my "kids" know to call back immediately. Of course, an emergency to Mindy is an entirely different thing. "Mom, where can I find lemon zest?" or, "Mom, I know it's 9:30 p.m., but I just got off work and I want to make Rotel Chicken. What do I need to get from the store?" Side note---then I love it when she accuses me of never calling HER. Heck, she never gives me a chance!

Everyone knows I'm not much of a phone person---such a time waster. You all know me---I talk a LOT! I have to schedule a time to even call my mother because I know it will be at least a half hour. Sandy and I have a lengthy conversation at least once a week which I enjoy---she calls me on Monday mornings, or I'll call her on Thursday mornings. Mindy has been calling more frequently recently, but they are quick conversations as she's usually running an errand for work. I don't mind a quick call to get or give information, but email is my preferred method of communicating. 

That brings up another annoyance---while I'm ranting here. If you are not going to respond to emails, then don't give out your email address. My "biggest" gripe of all is if I have to make a follow-up phone call because someone didn't respond to an email. Some of those "people" have been "punished" by NOT getting the call---then being "bummed" later. I just say, innocently, "well, I sent you an email." 

Gosh, I guess I'm getting old because I'm sure getting cantankerous! And in this season of JOY!!! 

Really, I'm very happy right about now---all the decorating is done, shopping done and wrapped and the calendar is FULL! Love that. This weekend, I'll start some baking. 'Tis the season....

For all of you---get up an hour earlier and give yourself some more time! That way, you can talk on your cell phones and not feel guilty about the time you're wasting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.