Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Off Again!

Today I'm off to Kalamazoo---up at 4:30, out the door by 5:10. Everything goes pretty smoothly---until I get to the airport. Valet parked my car---my favorite "perk" for being married to a parking jock. Entered the terminal---can't find Northwest Airlines. Asked someone and found out that they merged with Delta. How was I supposed to know that when all my paperwork says Northwest? Oh, yeah, that's what I get for not reading the newspaper. 

Entered the "check-in" line---did everything the "machine" told me to do. Then, I wait---and wait---and wait for an attendant to put the tag on my bag. After about 5 minutes, a man walked over and asked what I was waiting for.  I told him that I needed my bag tagged and someone to check my i.d. He told me I was in the wrong line. Apparently I was in the "check-in" with "carry-on" line. Sheesh! So, I get out of that area and head down the pike to the "check-in with luggage" line. I entered the maze, followed it to a dead-end. Why are we programmed like rats---that we think we can't just go under the ropes? No, I turn around and follow the maze back out and go around to an open area. Finally get my bag checked. Still ticks me off to have to pay $20 bucks for a bag---their punishment? I brought a really big one and made it really heavy---just under the 50 lb. limit!

Heading through security there are so many choices these days---"expert traveler", "casual traveler", "families" and "employees and crew".  Luckily I'm a morning person---those that aren't might have a hard time thinking this early---not to mention making a decision. I decided to take the "casual traveler" line rather than the "expert traveler" line. Although I consider myself a pretty "expert traveler" these days, I know how it drives Butch crazy that people like me enter that line---you know, computer, coat, scarf, jewelry, shoes---yada, yada, yada,---lots to slow things down. It only took me about 4:45 minutes to "undress". Got through without a hitch, but I do hate walking on that dirty floor and then putting my feet back into my previously clean shoes. What happened to the slippers they used to have?

I do have a little problem that I didn't consider when I planned what I was wearing today. On Sunday morning, upon getting up, I stubbed my baby toe on the "decorative" bench at the end of the bed. I was pretty sure I had broken it. I put my tennis shoes on for the Titans game and didn't dare take them off. I knew I should probably ice it, but didn't have time/patience to mess with that. It throbbed most of the day---I just limped around. I didn't bother with the doctor---what could they do with a toe anyway. Part of my foot and baby toe turned black--- it's starting to get purplish yellow today---I know TMI! I'm still limping around, but it's not that bad. 

When I planned my outfit, of course, I picked out cute shoes. They are very comfortable. That's not the problem. I've worn these shoes all summer without socks. Well, it's cold in Michigan, so I knew I needed to wear something. I put on thin trouser socks so as not to take away from the "cute-ness" of my shoes. Not a problem until I reached Detroit. When I checked where my connecting flight was, the gate agent told me it was Concourse C (I had just arrived on the furthest gate on the A Concourse). She then said it was 2 miles away. 2 friggin' miles! Although I don't always come into this particular gate, I did know that it was quite a trek---just never realized it was actually that far. That's fine, it will be my exercise for the day as I didn't get on the treadmill this morning. 

I start limping down the way and taking those moving walkways whenever I can. Now I start to notice the problem. The trouser socks are slippery inside my cute shoes. I'm having to use my toes to grip the shoes to keep them from falling off. So now, I'm limping, gripping to keep the shoes on my feet and experiencing considerable pain. That's why, half-way, I stopped in a really nice resting area with couches. I've got my feet up and am updating my blog! Not a bad plan since I have a 2 1/2 hour layover! 

Flying really is for the birds!

Later....

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.