Sunday, October 4, 2009

They Ask Me How I Do It!

Well, you better grab a cup of coffee (or my preference---tea), because it's going to be a long one!

Some of my friends ask me how I do it---Housework, Cooking, Laundry, Carpool, Paying Bills, Decorating, Book Club, Stitching, Gardening, Scrapbooking---and of course, Social Event Organizing on TOP of all this traveling.

I'd have to say it all began in the first grade at St. Aloysius School. On my very first report card, I got an "E" (for "excellent" and the highest grade you could get) in USES TIME WELL. At the time, I had no idea what that meant. And growing up, considering I was a "mess" (gee, I wonder where Mindy got that), I guess I've turned out okay. That simple little phrase---USES TIME WELL---really is the key.

There's no big secret here. But if there was one (or 7), they would be as follows:
1. I make a list.
How can you know what you need to do without one? Plus, there is great satisfaction in crossing things off the list. I've even heard of people putting things on the list at the end of the day just so they can cross them off (a-hem, Jeanne). I go one better---I keep a permanent "To Do" list on my computer that I update and print out weekly. Sure, there are some things on there that I don't really ever expect to do---like the ironing---heck, I haven't ironed in 15 years, why start now? Once the ironing basket fills up, I find that most of the stuff is out-dated anyway.
2. I have a belief that I can do it all. 
I do know my limits, but I'm never more efficient than when I have several irons in the fire at the same time. The busier I am, the more organized I become.
3. I'm competitive. 
I want to keep up with it all. I won't be showing up to book club without having read the book. I'm behind at present with my needlepoint, but after this past weekend, I'm pretty sure I might have pulled ahead of at least one or two of my friends.
4. I don't do everything for everyone else. 
Butch does all of his own packing and makes his own lunches. I never signed up to be a slave. Our roles are pretty clearly defined. I handle all household matters, he handles the garage. 
5. I multi-task. 
Simple enough---I check emails, stitch, thumb through catalogs and magazines while watching t.v. I tape every show so I can zip through the commercials and save even more time. I pay bills, upload photos and shop online. Admittedly, I've had a few minor "snaffu's" in this area----like the credit card company calling Butch to say I hadn't paid the bill. Butch argued with the guy that their records must be wrong---as "my wife ALWAYS pay the bills in full and on time." But, the credit card guy was right. I simply hadn't paid the bill. Luckily, with a good bill paying history, I was able to get the finance charges and penalties removed. That didn't stress me at all.
6. I delegate. 
Okay, I'll admit that not only am I spoiled, but pretty darn lucky too. I have Margarita. She does all the household chores. I'm really happy to not have to clean. Of course, this too, I learned at a young age. The only difference is that when Chrissy came to spend the weekend with me, she never knew I had delegated my housework to her. She just did it. That's where the "I was a mess" fits into the picture. I was darn lucky to have her!
7. And here's my "ace in the hole"---the biggest secret of all. I get up an hour earlier than everybody else! 
Do the math---1 hour x 365 days = 15 extra DAYS in a year. And if you break it down further and consider that I sleep 6-7 hours during those days, I actually have another 7.5 working days. Heck, if I keep going with my math and subtract weekends and only count working hours, I would have about another full YEAR of time!!! It really does add up in the productivity department!

Still things do fall through the cracks at times. Right now, that would be keeping up with my blogging! ;) I've got lots of ideas, so there is more to come....

And that's how I do it!

1 comment:

  1. Anyone else exhausted just by reading this entry?? Mom, you forgot the most important point - YOU HAVE MORE ENERGY THAN A SIX YEAR OLD ON CRACK!!!!!!!!! And I admit - I'm a little jealous! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.