Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Goin' to the Movies ain't like the Good ole Days!

The whole gang is here this week. We plan the week and post the schedule on the refrigerator so everyone knows what's happening each day and, of course, the meals. Well, today was to be a pool day (actually everyday is a pool day at some time or another, but today was to be a stay-at-home all day pool day). When we saw the weather last night, they were predicting storms all day. Soooo, we decided to alter our plans and take in a movie. "Swing Vote" with Kevin Costner was the majority choice. Sandy and Steph went off early for manicures and a stop for candy at Walgreen's. The kids and I (minus Morgan as she was at cheerleading camp) met the girls at the theater at 10:45. By the time I bought 4 adult tickets and 2 kid tickets ($38.00), 2 large popcorns, 5 medium drinks, 1 nachos and 1 slushy (the total was $50.00) and the $10.00 for the Walgreen's candy, it was a $100.00 outing! That is absolutely insane! And to think, besides economizing with the candy purchase, we brought lunch bags to share the popcorn. When we went into the theater, there was one kid (about 12) already seated. No one else came, so that made 8 people watching (counting Elizabeth who we didn't have to pay for). Now wouldn't you think with the cost of the refreshments, they would sell tickets for a buck, fill the theater and make a "ton" on the food?? Seems like a pretty clear cut idea to me. But what do I know...

Remember when we were kids and you could go for a quarter? It was a dime to get in, a nickel each for the coke, popcorn and candy. And in December, if you brought a toy, you saved the dime ticket fee.

I can remember about 20 years ago when I first started complaining about the high cost of going to the movies. Connie and I would take our girls. I would complain that it was a $50.00 day then! It's no surprise that Butch doesn't like movies.

Bring back the good ole days! And the "bite" of it? We didn't get a drop of rain. Now I'll have to water the plants. Our weather guys are ALWAYS wrong. Why in the world did I think they might be right this time?

Movie review: "Swing Vote" was funny the first half, but heavy with the message and political agenda the second half. Probably worth a rental. But definitely NOT worth 100 bucks.

Mindy has called every day to find out what we've been doing. I didn't have the heart to tell her that we had a HUGE pool party on Saturday (especially since some of her friends were here). She arrives tomorrow morning, but when she called this afternoon, she asked us not to have anymore fun today without her. Sorry, we just can't do it. But, all I can say is that it will be MORE fun when she gets here!!!

I'm exhausted (wink);) Whew!

Oh, and did I mention that someone ran down our mailbox last night? It's fully encased in brick and smashed to smitherines. I managed to prop up the box on top of the rubble, so I received mail delivery. Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.