Saturday, August 25, 2007

Another one bites the dust....

And another one's gone! (Notice how I like to use song titles for my blog entries?)

On my way to St. Louis, I always look forward to stopping at my favorite scrapbook stores. On this trip, I had some extra time, so I decided to stop in Florissant at Scrapbook Designs. To my surprise, the store's last day had been the previous Friday. To assuage my disappointment, I decided to drive down Lindbergh about a half mile to the Steak and Shake of my teen years. "140 Steak" was a major stop on my stomping grounds. It was THE place to see and be seen as you drove continuously around and around---sometimes never even stopping for so much as a Coke. (And, truth be told, if it wasn't for 140 Steak and a friend (who I didn't like) of my best friend who spit on Butch's car (yep, she spit on his windshield), I never would have met the man of my dreams! Aaaah, these trips down memory lane take me back....

Anyway, Steak and Shake was GONE too! What's happening to this world when your youth is wiped out just like that! Oh wait, I guess my youth has been wiped out for awhile now!

Driving a little further, I decided to go to White Castle. As I pulled through the drive through, I, again, was taken back. This time it was White Castle in the 70's where my brother, Ron "streaked" through the parking lot. In case you are too young to know what "streaking" is, here's the short of it (and I do mean short---if ya' know what I mean): you get buck naked and run around. I wasn't there to witness this event as I was down the road at 140 Steak. Had Ronnie "streaked" Steak and Shake, that would have been something. I think he felt safer at White Castle as no one he knew would have been there. It's a good thing he had a couple of his buddies there to vouch for him as we might not have believed it. Oh, and, Ron, I told mom about that this week. She's going to "ground" you.

Back to my original story. On Wednesday, I went out for a manicure and pedicure. On the way home, I wanted to stop at another scrapbook store near my mother's house. It, too, was GONE!!! I was just there in May. It's really sad that so many scrapbook stores are closing. So if you are reading this and you scrapbook, please be sure to support your local store. End of public service announcement.

3 comments:

  1. With scrapbooking becoming more and more popular, and not just a passing fancy, how is it that so many stores can't stay in business? Are the Michaels, and Hobby Lobbies taking over the market with cheaper prices?
    And I can't believe that 140 Steak is gone. Wasn't that the one down the road from Grandma's old apartment complex? What took it's place? Another McDonald's? I bet I wouldn't even recognize the older parts of St. Louis anymore. And to think of all the years we spent coming to town twice a year or more. It's kind of sad to remember all the places that were so important in our lives, and to know that they no longer exist. I just HATE getting older!!
    I can't wait to hear all about your trip this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I definitely think that Michaels and Hobby Lobby are having an impact on the scrapbooking industry. Plus, St. Louis also has Archivers. I love going to Archivers, but even that doesn't have that "homey" feel of the local scrapbook stores.

    You are right about that Steak and Shake being near grandma's old condo. I can't remember what is there now, but I don't think it was a food place. I hardly recognize things anymore, so I'm sure you wouldn't either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's an IHOP where the old one was & also a Waffle House next door. Steak and Shake is down further on Lindberg at Florissant Road.

    Thanks for helping me with my pictures. I had fun and have been bragging about how organized I am!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.