Monday, June 4, 2007

Home Again, Home Again jiggity Jig!

Just returned from my trip to San Diego. Despite the (now, predictable) airline glitches, we had a great time. It was a mother/daughter trip with the 3 cousins born in 1984---Jackie, Angie, and Mindy and the moms---Janet, Jeanne, and me. We toured the Midway, shopped downtown at the Gaslamp area and Seaport Village, hung out at the pool, went to the San Diego Zoo and saw the pandas and spent our last day at Sea World. We had a great driver, Mike, who took care of us except for one night when he fell asleep and didn't pick us up.

I went to California expecting to get some great seafood. But, I must say, I was disappointed in the food in general. The best meals we had were at the hotel. We went to a highly recommended place---George's in La Jolla that was supposed to be the best steak and seafood. It's one of those kind of places where the first two or three things in the description of a dish sound normal and then you don't have a clue what the ingredients are from there. Anyway, Mindy hit the nail on the head when she said that we're used to home cooking and (most recently) Cajun cuisine with sauces and butter. California cuisine is al fresco with crisp vegetables and odd combinations. They can keep it!

The weather was fabulous---60's every day. I could get used to that. Especially after returning home to 90's and all of my plants dried up. The flowers in SD were gorgeous.

This is the year for trips for us. Our next trip is our family vacation to Mackinac Island at the end of June. I'm still trying to get a trip to St. Louis planned for this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.