Sunday, June 24, 2007

Even after all these years...

Butch can still surprise me! You know about my plan to cook on Sunday and Monday---well, last night I was asking Butch if he had anything in mind that he'd like for dinner tonight. He shocked me by saying, "I want to go out to dinner"! I whipped my head around so fast you would have thought it was a scene straight from the Exorcist! He NEVER suggests eating out. And we're talking a Sunday night even. That never happens---we don't eat out on week nights. Don't get me wrong, we certainly eat out our fair share, but it is never his idea. Remember, he's a man that doesn't care the least bit about food. I really wasn't sure that I'd heard him correctly. I pressed the issue, "What? You want to go out? Why?" He said he was in the mood for a good steak. Okay, so I'm all over that! Then I went too far....I was asking too many questions. I could tell that his eyes were starting to glaze over. He had already reached his 100 word quota for the day. Sensing my dinner out might be in jeopardy, I let it go.

This morning, I started hinting around to see if dinner out was still on the proverbial table or if I had dreamt it. "What do you have planned for the day?" He mentions a couple things, but no dinner. About noon, I just asked him outright if he still wanted to go out. He said yes, but didn't tell me where. Finally about 4, I asked him what time he wanted me to be ready. He said 5:30, but still didn't say where we were going. On occasion, when we're out and about, he'll just take me somewhere for lunch. He likes his little surprises, so I didn't press the issue. I'm thinking---a good steak---Stoney River or Sperry's. Then I noticed that he changed into jeans, so then I think at the very least---Outback. We get in the car and head in the direction of Cool Springs. Outback is looking like a clear possibility. Why I think this, I do not know as it's been about 5 years since we've been there. Finally, I could not contain my curiosity and asked. He said, "Longhorn"! Not only was I not surprised, I wasn't even disappointed. They have a great salad that I like.

We get to the restaurant and he has forgotten his glasses as usual and borrows mine---remarking (as he always does when he borrows them) that they are really too strong. He decided on the Renegade---8 oz. portion. I get the salad. Our food arrives. We are having a pleasant dinner and nice conversation. As he is eating his "mini" steak, I asked him if it was good. He said that it was, but who in the world could eat the 12 oz. size? I swear, I don't know how the man thrives.

All in all, we had a pleasant dinner for around $30 bucks and were back home within an hour. We watched the results of "So You Think You Can Dance". A very nice ending to the weekend. He can surprise me anytime.

1 comment:

  1. that sounds yummy....and such a surprise coming from Uncle Butch!!
    Love,
    Bridget

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.